Anyone with Buffalo Ministation Extreme or Samsung S2 Portable Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leonardorebaz, Jul 31, 2012.

1. leonardorebaz macrumors newbie

I am looking for people with Buffalo Ministation Extreme and Samsung S2 Portable 1 TB.

Would you be so kind to run a Black Magic Disk Speed Test?

I have been spending a lot of time lately on researching for the best portable drive. Some say USB 3.0 + 7200RPM drives will give fastest speeds and some say the RPM doesn't matter because it depends on the disk quality. There are many opinions and a lot of confusing reviews/tests. Most of the reviews say the Buffalo Extreme or Samsung S2 is way faster than Seagate GoFlex and WD Passport. However I cannot find any Black Magic test. I would really appreciate if someone could run a test and share the results.

The thing is I work with a lot of data and I would like to find the fastest Portable Drive (without PSU) working on USB 3.0. I know ThunderBolt is faster but this is not what I am looking for. It has to be USB 3.0 because of my clients etc.

And for everyone else: Try to run a BM test on your portable USB 3.0 drive. If you get a speed greater than 80MB read and write, please be kind to share it in this thread.

----------

Sorry - I think I created this thread in the wrong section. :confused:

2. br3nt macrumors member

Have a Samsung S2 Portable 3 - 500 GB ... however, i have some data on it and it is NTFS so could only do read

45-50 MB/s from portable --> desktop (mbpr 2.3/16)

using Activity monitor to see the speeds.

3. leonardorebaz thread starter macrumors newbie

A quick update:

A local shop allowed me to run a quick test on 3 different disks. Here are the results:

WD My Passport 1 TB
    Read/Write: 75 MB / 78 MB

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB
    Read/Write: 90 MB / 92 MB

Seagate GoFlex 1 TB
    Read/Write: 117 MB / 120 MB

I would really like to find someone with a Buffalo Extreme.

4. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

5. zulu.walker macrumors newbie

Could you run a Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on it?