Anyone with iOS 5 - can you test this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kinobi, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Kinobi macrumors member

Can anyone with iOs 5 and GApps test address book syn with Google Apps Contacts?

Please let me know know if it's working.. Thank you

2. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

I sync my phone with my gmail contacts but don't understand your question... it works just like it used to with iOS4?

3. mkaen macrumors regular

Was there a reason you expected it to break? It's still working just fine.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Still working for me, I loaded iOS5 GM two days ago and all my Google Apps sync is good as before.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iOS 4.0 broke a number of ActiveSync services. It is reasonable to expect there to be issues with any x.0 software version. I've contacted Moxier to see if their e-mail software is certified and fully functional on iOS 5.

6. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

7. Kinobi thread starter macrumors member

thank you for all the answers.. there are numerous posts on Apple forum about Contact Sync not working correctly with Google Apps..

I do experience problems with Lion and contact sync (or not being able to sync with Google Apps - password related errors) . I rely on iPhone4 sync so having at least one good working contact sync with my Iphone was important before jumping to and using iOS 5

Thank you

8. bluehurry macrumors newbie

I was testing this out with an iPhone 4S at the Apple store, and found something really annoying: If you add a gmail account the normal way, Apple DOES NOT let you sync your phone contact to gmail, but instead forces you to put everything on their server.

The solution:

1. When adding your gmail, click on "Exchange" instead of "Gmail"
    2. Put in your emailaddy@gmail.com
    3. For username, also use the full emailaddy@gmail.com
    4. Put in your password and leave everything else blank
    5. On the next screen, put m.google.com in the server field

This method treats your gmail as an exchange account, and Apple can't block you from synching your contacts with Google by default. :)

9. kalex macrumors 65816

that is how its always been. if u add it regular way its only imap. if u add it like exchange then u can sync everything

10. bluehurry macrumors newbie

Thx for the info. Are there any gotchas to watch out for using this method? I read on a forum that some people use the exchange setup and ONLY enable contacts, while using the standard IMAP setup for everything else. I'm not entirely clear on the pros and cons of doing it that way vs. just having it all sync via Exchange.