Anyone with the Aluminum MAC Book who wishes they bout the 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kp98072, Mar 12, 2009.

1. kp98072 macrumors member

:apple:hi everyone, i cant decide between the MB aluminum or 15" PRO, so I thought I would post to see if anyonewho Bought a Macbook Aluminum regrets it for any reason and or wishes they bought the bigger 15" MBP? On a high level i know the difference is graphics/firewire, and I personally love the big screen on the 15" BUT it seems like the 13.3" does just about the same things and need input of real world experience---if the screen is big enough, viewing issue? Input much appreciated thansk!!

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Get the Apple 24" LED cinema display if you need more resolution.

3. chapel321 macrumors member

I currently have the 13" Macbook Uni. I had a 15" MBP and do miss the real estate. My advice, spring for the Pro...I will get another! Other than that I have no complaints about the performance of the Macbook 13".

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the screen is plenty big enough! plus the 15" is A LOT bigger than you think, compared to the 13.3".

i'm really happy - i almost got a refurbished intel core duo MBP - 15".. but i went with the new unibody MB and don't regret it a bit! :)

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I have a 12" PowerBook, and I think the macbook is too big- there's a lot to be said for portability. If you need the real estate, you've got Spaces and Exposé in the OS and the miniDP connector in hardware for connecting to a desktop monitor up to the 30"ACD. Go for portability. You won't regret it.

6. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

If screen size is the only reason you're considering an MBP, then I say save the extra money go with a MacBook. When I made the switch, I was not happy a 13" model being the consumer model. But I didn't have the money for a MBP. I've been perfectly happy with my MacBook and the size has grown on me. If Apple ever came out with a 15" consumer model, I don't think that I'd get it (unless it was cheaper than the 13").

7. santos79 macrumors regular

I think it really depends how you plan to use it and what you've been using thus far.
    If you plan to lug it around a lot, then you might appreciate the portability of the Macbook. If your going to use it mostly at home, the MBP is probably the better one to buy - assuming that the difference in price is not an issue.
    Especially if your previous notebook had a 15-inch screen it might be hard to get used to having less screen real estate. The MBP's screen is also superior in terms of quality.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Not necessarily.. I came from a 15.4 Dell to the MacBook and I love it! I didnt miss the extra 2.4 inches at all!

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Reason i went 15 inch Macbook Pro instead of 13' Macbook was

I prefer a slightly bigger screen.

The 2 graphic cards

and the fact it has firewire. I would of wished for a fw 400 but you can get adaptors.

x

10. diman1881 macrumors newbie

That's what she said... sorry couldn't resist...

I actually just switched from a 17" Acer to the MB and the realestate is not an issue at all. If you need a lot of screen there is always connecting to a monitor (I use my 58" plasma :) )

;)

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HAHA guess I set myself up for that one!! ;)

12. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

I've got an early-2008 17" MBP and a brand-new aluminium MacBook.

I love the MacBook, despite its lower resolution screen. I'll probably end up using the MB more than the MBP because of its nicer size. Of course, the 15" MBP is more compact than the 17", but not much.

So, in answer to your original question, no, I don't regret buying an aluminium MB.

P.S. I'm really glad I got the 2.4 with the back-lit keyboard - that's a feature I don't think I'd like to be without now that I'm used to it.

13. VladM macrumors regular

I came from a 15.4 Dell XPS with 1920x1200 resolution to the Macbook. I have to say that not once did I miss the size and the resolution.

14. atillagene macrumors newbie

Lack of fire wire is nasty

I bought a new 13" aluminum. I have no complaint about it and not even once I regret I hadn't bought Pro. Though I wish it came with firewire.

15. mbleopard macrumors regular

if your gonna be carrying it around go with the macbook, i have the 2.4GHz MacBook and its perfect, its small and light enough to easily carry around and the screen size is good enough. I came from a 15.4" HP and don't miss the real estate at all.

But if you have the extra money to buy a pro and you really want the 15.4 then go for it, your the one thats gonna be using it, not us

16. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why people use mobility as a con for the 15" Macbook Pro. The thing is light as a feather (granted the 13" must be weightless in comparison). Maybe it's because I recently came from a 17" Gateway beast that was 9.5 pounds.

With that said, I would go for the Pro. I did own the white Macbook a few years back and now I'm on the 15" Pro. The extra screen real-estate is very important to me and the size is just perfect really.

17. VladM macrumors regular

I don't understand how people can speak about more "screen real estate". If the resolution was markedly bigger, this would be a good point, but with 1440x900 vs 1200x800, it is hardly the case.

18. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I actually traded in my Uni MacBook for a Pro.

Not so much for the screen, or size, but for the Firewire and Express Card slot.

Having had both, it really is a significant difference.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm the opposite, I have a 2.4 Unibody 15" and I want to move to a 2.4 MB mainly for the portability. I will really miss the extra res though.

20. raremage macrumors 6502a

Agreed - it's much more noticeable than you might think.

Having said that, I'm currently considering a "downgrade" from my 1-yr old MBP to the MB, simply for portability reasons. I carry it every day and am thinking the smaller form factor and lighter weight is starting to look pretty attractive.

21. VladM macrumors regular

Having had many laptops, the fact is that the res is a deciding factor. Thus I disagree with you.

22. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I'm not saying that the resolution isn't a deciding factor. I'm saying that the MBP allows me to easily access many more windows than I could with my MacBook, without using Exposé. This is not arguable. This is fact.

23. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks forthe input, so you say they were very different, how so? Do you lug your MBP around every? Is that an issue? canyou use it in cafes?

24. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

As far as portability is concerned, I prefer the MacBook. That doesn't mean that it's an issue with the MBP. Obviously it's bigger, but it's not so big that it's a nuisance.

Honestly, the best thing is to go check them out yourself.

Also, do you need the extra features of the Pro? If so, then it's a no-brainer. If you can live without them, then it's merely a size issue, and you have to decide for yourself which size you prefer.

25. VladM macrumors regular

Many more? How many windows can you fit in 240x100 - cos that is how much more you have on a 15" screen.

This is maybe your perception, but it is most certainly not fact. Quite the opposite.