Anyone working on an un-tethered jb for some of us 3gs users?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Rooftop voter, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Been reading around the net and on here and am wondering if someone is actually working on an un tethered jb for us with the newer iboot. Lots of conflicting info I've found and am just wondering if anyone has any better/clearer info. From what I've read some places say it's bieng worked on but it won't be released untill the next iPhone. Some places say that it's not bieng worked on as of right now, and it seems like geohot is out of the game which would make that more realistic, but then there's the dev team so maybe they are working on something. So any one have any info?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Don't think there's nothing new in the works. Just be thankful u can do a tethered JB.

3. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I'm sure someone's working on it, but it would be stupid to release right now because of the fact that when the new hardware/OS is released, the exploit has a better chance of being intact. If someone does a release now, Apple can just patch it up before release and then it comes back to digging around for another workable exploit.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And Apple just closed the USB exploit which gives the 3GS with new bootrom the tethered jailbreak, so with 3.1.3 and up, there is no current jailbreak for your phone.

5. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tethered is worthless for me. I'm glad it's there for the people who don't mind being tethered but it can't work for me.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Then sell that phone on eBay or Craigslist and get a slightly used 3GS in prisitne condition with the old bootrom. I personally bought two 3GS's like that to avoid the new bootrom.

7. ihonda macrumors 68000

or do an exchange thru apple and pray u get a old boot rom.. but do it quick because some of the service phones are even updated!

8. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought about that, but I'm worried about ending up with a lemon. Doesn't something have to be wrong to do an exchange?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah Apple isn't going to exchange it just because you want a different one.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Ha! I wonder if anyone ever told him where Apple hid the "24kpwn file." If so, we can expect one any day. Maybe as soon as he gets back from Time-Out. ;)

12. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Yeah, technically. Find some asinine, niggling little problem with your phone (which is something that many MacRumors patrons seem to have little problem doing, heh), and if you goad Apple enough, they'll probably break down and replace it for you. :p

If you call Apple up and pay them for an Advance Replacement (where they put a hold on your credit card for the entire unsubsidized price of your phone model and ship you the replacement phone FIRST before you ship them yours back, and charge you $29 for the privilege), chances are that because there is nothing wrong with your old phone, and you paid them for an "extra-warranty" service, there is "no harm, no foul" and they're most likely not going to hassle you to reverse the exchange.

In neither case are you actually guaranteed an old-bootrom phone. Who knows: by the time you read this, Apple may have run out of stock on refurbished phones with the old ROM. (Chances are probably better finding one at an Apple Store, actually.)

Really, if you want a guaranteed swap, find one on eBay, buy that, and then sell your original phone on eBay. You might not break even, and so end up paying a few dollars for the privilege of having the old bootrom, but it's (probably) worth it.

-- Nathan

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He's on time-out again?:D

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I don't even think he got out of the first one yet. :)

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Oh, no, he did. I think he was out for a day and a half? I know I had to correct him half a dozen times in that period.

16. ihonda macrumors 68000

i tried to exchange mine for a sim-card tray issue.. denied.. time to call the store manager and have it approved before i drive another hour :p

i dont need mine replaced as its untethered..but it has some scratches on the back and those annoy me lol.

soon as i took my wrapsol off swirl marks appeared..

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If the scratches occurred during your ownership, why would Apple replace it ?

And do scratches on the back case really matter ?

On the screen yes, but I almost never look at the back of my phone.

18. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

that would be OCD + trying to get a free replacement

which eventually raises the price for everyone else because people like this abuse the system

thanks bud :rolleyes: