Anyone yet to experience the speed of an SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmanto02, Sep 2, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Go buy one now - Your world will be rocked.

That is all.

:D

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm in much more need of disk space than speed at the moment, so I'll hold off for the time being.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't know!

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I replaced all my main drives on all my comps to SSD about 2 years ago.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

But did you know about the new box that plugs in, inside your house, that keeps things cold with any ice needed!?!?

Witchcraft I say!

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!?????

No I did NOT... but I do know that there is this chocolate chip cookie named Zippy and wherever Zippy goes, he leaves this magical trail of chocolate for all the boys and girls!

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I just found out about 2 weeks ago with my retina mbp. It's amazing!

9. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

i got a an SSD as my boot drive and i am using my HDD in the optibay that holds my files like music and movies. its been great a 6-8 sec cold boot is great. as soon as i open the lid its on from sleep even over night.

10. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Today I just bought my third one... they are like cherries...:D

11. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I'm up to three 128gb drives and one 160gb drive now *sigh*

12. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It is pretty amazing. I can boot up my computer in 12 seconds, that's just incredible...

13. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

It's funny I work as a salesperson in a computer store, and yesterday a potential customer tried to argue that solid-state drives were inferior to regular hard-disks as they are less reliable. I didn't bother arguing i just said "sure" then laughed at her expense later on.

14. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Females and technology...SMH.

15. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I think the issue is that SSDs have a finite number of writes, and before TRIM was implemented performance degraded considerably over time. And OS X still does not have official TRIM support for non-Apple drives.

While hard drives are obviously prone to failure, many people have old hard drives running well beyond their expected lifetime, and they were probably not aware of how unreliable they can be. (and modern drives are pretty good)

Honestly though, I do think it’s a bit overhyped. I have a SATA3 SSD which maintains speeds above 500MB/s (often 550MB/s) in most scenarios and while it’s definitely faster, with tasks like launching applications in normal use (rather than launching every app on the system at once, as people seem to like to do when they get an SSD…) it is not significantly quicker than a modern desktop hard drive. You’re only talking about saving a few seconds with more complex stuff like Photoshop. Most of the time you’re still waiting for the CPU.

With plenty of RAM in the system, how often are you actually quitting apps, or shutting down & restarting? I sleep all my computers, there’s no need to shut down any more.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer to have it as a boot drive and running games off it, but it’s not like I could never go back.

Everything but the highest density notebook drives are quite a lot slower than a desktop HDD though.

If you’re going from an old 60–80GB notebook drive, I can definitely see the difference being quite noticeable—you would also notice a big difference moving to a 750GB/1TB drive though.

But it does not make an old machine feel like new. Putting an SSD inside a MacBook 1,1 which maxes out the SATA1 bus at all times, is certainly quicker than the old HDD when launching apps, but it still feels like a slow computer.