Anyone's experience so far with the latest Mac Pro (and how it truly real-world runs:

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tripppletrouble, May 15, 2009.

  1. Tripppletrouble macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2009
    I need a new computer (.....a Mac OF COURSE !!! :) , I won't go into why (to many reasons) - so it's hopefully time...

    Currently I have a barely running:
    Mac Pro
    Proc: 2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon
    Memory: 8 GB 667 MGz DDR2 FB-DIMM
    Graphics: Horribly bug ridden, PCIe - ATI x1900 (at 16x slot speed), 512MB dedicated memory

    If anyone knows, how would that compare to the newest 4 & 8 core Mac Pro offerings that are available now???

    I know that there is a lot more to it, but I just generalizing here, and hope that I can get my point across.....I'd just like to know what kinds of gains [any specific areas? perhaps Xcode compile speeds.....if anyone knows?] I'd hopefully get compared to my current machine [specs. listed above]

    I'm do lots of programming type work, xcode projects, obviously net browsing/email, and 3D modeling/animation tools such as Maya/Cinema4D...if that helps narrow down the magic profile that could help determine if these newer Mac Pros are indeed, a *LOT* faster; including I guess the components, etc. when compared to my current machine listed above....

    I'm looking to buy like really soon if it's a good buy, so any help would be seriously mega-appreciated!!!! :) tks in advance
  2. macuser154 macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2009
  3. zer0tails macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2008
    i'm surprised your current rig isn't good enough for what you do.

    Honestly, you just need to upgrade your card and get more ram.

    I don't think it's worth dropping 3 grand on the new nehalems when your current rig just needs some tweaking.
  4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Sep 4, 2006
    I agree his current rig a 2x3GHz seems plenty fast and could probably easily last another 5 years.
  5. Abidubi macrumors 6502

    Feb 13, 2009
    Here is a tip. Instead of shelling out $3200 to get almost the exact same performance with a 2.93 quad with gt120 (Maybe you'd get $2000 for your system)...

    Buy a 4870 ($350)
    Add 8 more gigs of RAM ($329)
    Buy 2 WD 1TB HDs and put them in raid 0 ($200)

    Then you have a system costing you $321 less than selling your current system and picking up the latest equivalent (plus a little more RAM, HD space/speed and faster graphics for slightly less processing power). Or do you honestly think doubling your cores for whatever you do to be worth spending another $3899 after selling your current system?

    I can tell you it will be a long long long time before I replace this system. Max my RAM to 16GB (maybe it will hold 32GB in the future), install 6 HDs (maybe more) and have a 4+ disk raid 0, replace the processor with whatever comes next if it still fits in the same socket (nehalem quad 3.33 or the comming 6 core chip). This system will be fast for a long time.
  6. rikoshay macrumors member


    Mar 28, 2006
    No. California (in the Redwoods)
    Good lord, get rid of that lousy ATI x1900 video card, that is VERY prone to overheating & causing a gaunlet of video troubles; up to and including full monitor blackouts. If you can score one, get a nVIDiA Geforce 8800 GT video card (Apple just discontinued them). They're work-horses in Macs & PCs.
  7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Save yourself the cash and just replace that 1900XT. Get a 4870. Official or flashed PC card.
  8. Tripppletrouble thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2009
    More details. Lots of stuff is broken here I think, not just the graphics card.

    TKS for all the replies folks!!
    i do get what you all are saying but the thing is, I'm having more issues than just the graphics card alone. Also am getting error after error in crash logs about one of the cores. which doesn't sound very good or fix-able if that is what it sounds like.

    the graphic card is trash like everyone said. am furious that :apple: even sold this and it was so expensive at the time at that, soooo :mad: !!
    for the heat issue though i did put on a very good outside vendor's fan and heatsink and thermal paste. i also put some extra heatsinks on & even installed one of those PCI fan things that fit into a pci slot. it has 2 fans on it, 1 aims at the card full blast & the other is a full exhaust fan that pushes the heat outside the case,
    i even have used various hardware sensor monitoring programs that show the temperature all around the computer & really, I have the temps all down including that stupid gpu card into the range it should be in

    BUT after all that work it still crashes & dies all the time. Like probably at least 10 full hard crashes per day. and that is the VERY LEAST. Many days it does it much much more, it is just horrible to use.

    if I shelled out for a new graphics card, it'd prob solve some of the problems. but i really don't think that it would end there.
    I mean, the thing will crash on its first boot of the day after 10 minutes of checking email; not playing Quake or anything that'd make the gpu need to generate power. Then I restart it and boom, dead again within only a couple minutes of use.

    it also crashes or more like just shuts itself down all the time for no reason. the screen will just turn black & thats that. i have to hard reboot. its so annoying & i save my work alot but still loose stuff all the time from this.

    Ive gone through & really hardcore tested the memory with memtest and some other things. Them & the Apple Diagnostics CD all do their tests fine & report no errors :confused:

    there are other problems too with the USB, somewhere in there :)

    I've tested the HDs, reinstalled Mac OSX too many times to count & its running (and crashing) still as steady as always. Thats about all it seems to do steadily these days LOL. Ive made sure not to install any outside drivers or extensions, which I really don't even need these days. but again it keeps dying on me.

    SO NOW heres why I am still leaning towards buying a new Mac Pro......
    My biggest incentive is that I have a fast-closing window from a friend that can get me a mega hefty discount on 1 machine & a monitor. I'm talkin pretty steep price discount here. I forgot the date it ends but I think it is just after that Apple Developer conference thing. thats also good just in case they update anything I'm buying :)
    I don"t think the Mac Pro is set to get updated again so soon since it like JUST did not long ago.

    BUT I could use another monitor as well and was looking at the 30" Apple display. It sure looks nice :D
    But no iSight camera in it?? I want that hopefully, plus that newer 24" LCD display that they pretty recently released. Anyone know how it compared in the real workplace to the older 30" one, besides the size difference; how does that LED technology actually LOOK up close? Does it look better then whatever, LCD is it?, that the current 30" model uses?
    Because luckily I can wait till AFTER that Apple Developer thing to see if they finally update the other monitors (maybe all of them to that LED format, and with an iSight built in).

    I ask this because the deal I can get is good for ONE "system". They say a "system" is either just the Mac, or the Mac AND Monitor, BUT only if you buy them together at the very same time. So if I go with just a new Mac Pro only, that is that. I'd have to pay full price for the monitor when I get one. BUT, if it works out as I'm hoping so much :eek: Apple will announce immediate shipping of some new similarly priced monitors; including a pretty nice big one like the current 30 incher; maybe bigger?! :eek:

    So if I wait until my friend's deal expires, I'm going to be stuck with this crap Mac Pro that at least in my testing & mind, is NOT going to be getting any better & in all likelyhood will just get worse like everything does.

    Does this change anyone's mind that commented before with the "just change the GPU" or something like that type of that I hope I explained my situation in probably 2 much detail :p

    I really value MR members opinions & advice. And would be honestly grateful if anyone could share their thoughts and better yet, what they would personally do in this exact situation (I wish he had more than 1 deal "usage" thing that I could share with you guys. but he only gets 1 per year & doesn't want it this year so he's giving it to me, really nice guy!)

    mostly just don't want to look back in a month when this computer is all but trash & components to take out, knowing that I COULD have had something newer, hopefully less flaws, & most of all this 1-in-my-lifetime discount offer that I could have used. except by then it'll be expired. :confused:

    ah well. thanks again for posting the help before. And if I'm not asking too much, & probably I am really --- you have to READ all that ...sorry!!! :eek: ---- but if any one here has time to spare, please please I'm begging for all/any suggestions, comments, your thoughts & what you'd do if you were in my shoes right now.
    THANK U FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS & offer up anything you possibly can, I'm open to hearing from anyone :)
    so thank you in advance!!!!
  9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    I would agree here but to add to the tweeking, toss the dual core chips and add some used quad core clovertowns. I bumped my 2ghz quad mac pro to 2.33 octo for 300 bucks. Not that hard to do. That, ram and a better card and you will be good to go for a few more years. Now if this deal is a sweet deal thats alot cheaper than new, then go for it.
  10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030


    Aug 24, 2007
    I'll echo what most have been saying about upgrading/fixing your current machine. new vid card. more RAM. swap in some clovertown processors.

    I think you'd be disappointed in the minimal amount of real world gain you'd see by getting the new mac pro. just not worth the money.
  11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603


    Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Honestly if you're having that many problems with your current Mac Pro I'd concentrate on getting that sorted out. Have you sent it in for any kind of warranty service?
  12. Tripppletrouble thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2009
    I don't have the extended Applecare & the included warranty ran out a long time back. So I'd have to pay to have it even looked at, at least anywhere near where I am. If I was convinced that it was just something simple that could be fixed in one shot I"d prob go 4 it & pay. but now with the chance or my thinking that I might just get a new one then it could be alot of money going down the drain if I paid to have it checked out & that whole bit, even if they find something its a toss up i guess.

    I"ve had a few friends that had bad logic boards in their Macbooks, I guess there was a big problem with one of the earlier models. lucky for them it was still under 90 days & Apple replaced it, but not without a multi trip hassle and long wait. I don't think they paid any thing, or at least barely any thing for it but I remember that Apple told them the normal full price & it was on their invoices just to show what it would have been. I don't remember exactly but pretty sure it was at least like $700 & think it was even more. dont know if that was the part or the part & labor. But that is a LOT of money!!

    And I don't know if the Mac Pros have a "logic board" or whatever but I know there are many expensive looking boards in there :D

    So again I think personally that is a big gamble since its unknown what the problem or problems are at this time. AND THEN after all that like others were saying, I would at least want to get a new graphics card. since this post got long I am gonnna cut off here & add a little more in a separate one

Share This Page