Anyone's iPhone 6 switching itself off w/large amount of battery remaining?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

So this started happening a few months ago. I've got an 18 month old 6. Latest software.

At 20% it will prompt for low power mode. Whether I switch it on or not the phone will die long before 1%. Usually at 13-17%.

It's worse if the phone is under heavy use. I was out yesterday taking some photos, sending a few messages, on FB etc.

I was in an unfamiliar area and needed Google maps as a backup to get me back to my car. It died at 34%.

Funny thing is if you leave for 5 mins it will boot back up and get as far as the passcode screen...

I've done all the usual troubleshooting. Full discharge several times. Hard reset to recalibrate.

I can swap it out at the Apple Store as we get a 2 year guarantee in the UK but just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Was hoping 9.3 would fix it but starting to suspect it's hardware related.

Either way it's pretty poor from Apple. My last phone (4s) had to be swapped out (again after about 18m) as the wifi stopped working.

2. andygohyf macrumors newbie

Mine died at 15% all the time until I plug in to a power source.

3. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

And what do you think about that? It's very much a basic for a phone to provide an accurate power reading.

4. andygohyf macrumors newbie

Actually the phone has battery just don't know why. When I plug in a charger, it has 15% or more.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My phone is insane when it comes to battery. It drains like crazy, and I know a lot of it is from Facebook drinking like an English soccer fan when it's either in the background or in use. Video doesn't use up that much battery. Then I opened up USA Today to look at one thing. Later that day it had used a ton of my battery.

Then I have times when I go for 30 percent to 15 percent in about 5 minutes. Then I have it on 4 percent for about an hour.

Apple needs to either fix whatever glitch is causing these background services to screw up or stop accepting these Facebook updates that claim they make things better but really don't. I'm on an iPhone 6. It's not exactly an ancient device.

6. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate, a few people have mentioned the FB app as being a problem. I am going to be drinking like an English football fan later (United v Spurs) so I'll pull the FB app and see if that helps things.

I don't think there's anything you can do in the app that you can't do in Safari apart from notifications?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, my 6 plus and my wife's as well are accurately reporting the battery life. I hardly deep drain my battery and that might be why. I don't think my wife gets it down below 20 percent either, but on the occasions it has occurred, the phone stayed on.

I bought a used 5s for my daughter, and her phone did that, but I can see the battery not holding a charge, and other symptoms indicated that her battery was toast and I got that replaced.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Does this happen more often or more severely during days that are cold? iPhone batteries are notoriously poor performers when they get the chills.

Also, do you have access to a Mac? If so, download Coconut Battery status, and then connect your phone. It will tell you the health of your phone's battery.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I would certainly be willing to pay the ever so greedy Apple company to create an "iPhone LL" model (Long Lasting Battery). That's how valuable having a full 14 hour day of heavy use, on just one battery charge, is for me. That kind of battery life is something every single one of my colleagues at work would also be eager to have.

While obsessed to the extreme over Camera Performance, the greatest challenges Apple would face if they offered an "iPhone LL" would be massive sales, delighted customers, and which offshore account to hide the money in. :D

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

NOT Panama!

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

happens to a friend and he sent it in but apple send it back stating no issue found. ge had the same issue on two iPhone 5 before

12. MNR macrumors regular

I had the same issue with mine after the new iOS update! My battery was not lasting a whole day where before I could go up to 2 days. Realized Facebook app uses a lot of battery and almost all my apps where turned on for background app refresher! Deselecting some of them expanded my battery life.

13. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Happened to me with my old iPhone 4S. Dying when it decided to do so, as soon as the "20% limit" battery level was reached. Also died when under 50% and I was using Google Maps in my car. The iPhone was placed right in front of the car vents and air conditioning was on this day, so I suspect that the battery was quite sensitive to cold. And, same as you, after few minutes I was able to turn it on again.

However, it was an old phone and the battery was quite used (like 80-85% of the original capacity remaining). So I would suggest you to check your battery status.

14. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I was having this happen a few weeks ago, it was why I ended up trading it in to get a 6S.

The advice that I was given beforehand was to try doing a wipe and not restoring to see if there was a bug somewhere in the backup.