Anything I should know when I activate my new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BC-2, Sep 23, 2013.

1. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

I should be getting my 5s via my Apple online order this week. Once I receive it, is activation pretty straight forward or are there any tips or things I should be aware of? I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Edit: I currently have a 4s and have backed it up.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Step by step instructions are included to activate your phone with the carrier you chose. On you 4s pull your sim and destroy it. Turn off find my iphone on 4s and then erase all content and settings on your 4s. If you are going to keep 4s, then you dont have to do that.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You don't want to be holding it at the time it's activated/goes on the grid..... you can get a little shock. [​IMG]

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

As long as you are upgrading from an actual upgrade line you will be fine. I upgraded my 4s to the 5 as a crossgrade. So I have another line that is my alternating upgrade line. I upgraded that line and switched the phone to my line. Well, what they don't tell you is that now that they have sim cards in them, once a sim is burned you have to wait 24 hours to switch lines. Fortunately I went to the Apple store and they got me a new sim and fixed the issue. I'm hoping that next year this won't be an issue because I already have an active sim...I would just have to switch the other line back onto the account after upgrade and pop in my current sim. But it was a pain last year!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I call shenanigans on this.

6. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

Ok, I'm upgrading on the same line. Thanks for the input everyone, I figured it was straight forward but it doesn't hurt to ask just in case. Looking forward to Thursday!

----------

Yup, but I did have a fairly lame question I suppose :eek:

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

No it's true. My friend was sent to the emergency room when activating his gold 5s. [​IMG]

8. wxman2003 Suspended

I am upgrading from 5 to 5s. When I purchased online from verizon I was given the option to use current sim. So I have to remember to check if they have a new sim card in 5s and replace it with the 5 sim before turning it on the first time.

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I call bs on this....

----------

be prepared to create a passcode if you didn't use one before.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

5 to 5S should be a breeze. Just pop in your 5 sim and make sure your other line gets put back to where it was before you turn on the new phone.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Was he standing in a puddle while his other hand held a bobbie pin in an outlet? :rolleyes:

12. wxman2003 Suspended

I only have one line. So all I should have to do is pull sim and place in new phone. Instructions that come with it should be fairly easy.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't do that to yourself OP. Simple questions are better than stupid/avoidable mistakes.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Yup, just pop in the old sim and destroy the new one...don't just toss it tho..make sure you cut it in half. It still has your account info on it, whether you choose to use it or not.

If you are upgrading the line you are buying it for tho...meaning no cross grade, you don't actually have to put in your sim. It has one in it already..just turn on the new phone and it will activate OTA....before you sell or give away your old iPhone tho remember to remove and destroy the old sim.