Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Does anyone have an interesting story of something happening while waiting in line for their i5s? I just read an article at arstechnica about how some lady freaked out because she didn't get her i5s gold/white or some guy getting huffy puffy because apple wouldn't sell him a phone for full price so he whined then said he was going to wal-mart for his iphone.

Last edited:

twowinns

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
Stood in a line of 300+ at the Austin Domain store. The shopping Center is outside. When I arrived at 5:40 am, there were already 200+ people in line. I was mad, because I was told by the Apple store employees and mall security that they would not let a line start to form until 6 am.

It had been raining most of the night, but really came down hard around 6:45 am, and kept going for about 30 minutes. Even with umbrella, I got soaked in certain areas. Once it stopped, Apple started down the line with cards representing the phone model you wanted. I got my AT&T Space Gray 32GB no problem. I was in the store by 9:00 am, and out by 9:30 am. Apple had this organized very well, and all went smoothly except the rain.

There was a guy in line in front of me that asked for two cards for his phones. He stepped out of line when we were within 30 people from the store door. He asked me to save his place and that he'd be back in just a few moments. He never returned before I got into the store. I guess he was paid to stand in line for someone, until he could get a card and save them a few phones. It just seemed weird, though.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
At about 5am 3 guys showed up and went straight to the front of the line. An argument began between them and a guy that had been there all night. One started threatening the guy that had been there all night while his friend started flashing a gun. The guy that had been there all night ran to get security. Next thing we know 6 police cars speed up and the police run out with their guns drawn yelling at the men that tried to cut to get down on the ground with their hands in the air. In the end they arrested the man with the gun (turns out it was stolen) and they let the other two go but told them that they had to leave. Needless to say, it woke us all up a bit.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
At about 5am 3 guys showed up and went straight to the front of the line. An argument began between them and a guy that had been there all night. One started threatening the guy that had been there all night while his friend started flashing a gun. The guy that had been there all night ran to get security. Next thing we know 6 police cars speed up and the police run out with their guns drawn yelling at the men that tried to cut to get down on the ground with their hands in the air. In the end they arrested the man with the gun (turns out it was stolen) and they let the other two go but told them that they had to leave. Needless to say, it woke us all up a bit.

Holy crap, where was this?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010

Wow they punked their way in front with a gun, that's low. Now the one dude got arrested and the others kicked from the premises. Lol

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007

They should have arrested all of them as I'm sure the other 2 were model citizens. lol

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Stood in a line of 300+ at the Austin Domain store. The shopping Center is outside. When I arrived at 5:40 am, there were already 200+ people in line. I was mad, because I was told by the Apple store employees and mall security that they would not let a line start to form until 6 am.

It had been raining most of the night, but really came down hard around 6:45 am, and kept going for about 30 minutes. Even with umbrella, I got soaked in certain areas. Once it stopped, Apple started down the line with cards representing the phone model you wanted. I got my AT&T Space Gray 32GB no problem. I was in the store by 9:00 am, and out by 9:30 am. Apple had this organized very well, and all went smoothly except the rain.

There was a guy in line in front of me that asked for two cards for his phones. He stepped out of line when we were within 30 people from the store door. He asked me to save his place and that he'd be back in just a few moments. He never returned before I got into the store. I guess he was paid to stand in line for someone, until he could get a card and save them a few phones. It just seemed weird, though.

200+ people? Damn I couldn't imagine that many people standing around outside getting soaked, waiting to get in.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
At Stonestone, San Francisco

While I was waiting in line outside the mall, I heard a loud crunch in the parking lot. Turns out someone tried to back in to a parking spot and smashed the front fender of the car in the next stall.

twowinns

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
200+ people? Damn I couldn't imagine that many people standing around outside getting soaked, waiting to get in.

Usually you can't get rain here, even if you do a rain dance. Wouldn't you know it. Of all the days to rain, it had to be on a release day. I read here on another thread that someone arrived in the early afternoon and they still had some 5s's left. Good for him. I just didn't want to take that chance.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Naples.

Went to an ATT store in Naples while away on business.
About 10 people in line, music/doughnuts/coffee and water.

Nice smooth atmosphere, no stress and well done delivery by ATT at that store.
Space gray of courses, or I like to call it the BMW color.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I made fun of a 55 year old woman when she started acting like a 12 year old girl when the att reps came out the store an hour before they opened to tell us they only had space gray. She literally had a fit and started to bash apple and threatened to buy an android. Her son was #90 in line at the local apple store and they sold out of gold 5s before it was his turn and she had another fit. I told her I would buy her a coffee if she upgraded to an android, needless to say she got a 32gb space gray :D

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I got in line at the Apple store about 2AM and had about 95 people in front of me. A couple of hours later I was looking at craigslist to see how much iPhones were selling for and I see an ad for somebody selling his spot in my line for $50. So I email the guy and ask him were he is in line and he tells me has about 30 people in front of him. I ask him what store he is in front of and he tells me. I walk down the line at this point and this kid in a group of a bunch of others gives me this look and I figure that's probably him. I want to get a gold one so I email him back and ask him if he'll take $40.

At this point I walk back down the line and say "are you the guy selling your spot in line?". His eyes get real big and he has a panicked look on his face and tells me he changed his mind. I walk away and check my email and I see that he emailed me and asked me to slyly sneak over to him in line. Then I get another email from him apologizing and telling me that his friends around him gave him a hard time about it because he was planning on having me sneak next to him in line and act like he had been saving the spot for me. He was planning on staying there as well. What a knucklehead.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I got in line at the Apple store about 2AM and had about 95 people in front of me. A couple of hours later I was looking at craigslist to see how much iPhones were selling for and I see an ad for somebody selling his spot in my line for $50. So I email the guy and ask him were he is in line and he tells me has about 30 people in front of him. I ask him what store he is in front of and he tells me. I walk down the line at this point and this kid in a group of a bunch of others gives me this look and I figure that's probably him. I want to get a gold one so I email him back and ask him if he'll take $40.

At this point I walk back down the line and say "are you the guy selling your spot in line?". His eyes get real big and he has a panicked look on his face and tells me he changed his mind. I walk away and check my email and I see that he emailed me and asked me to slyly sneak over to him in line. Then I get another email from him apologizing and telling me that his friends around him gave him a hard time about it because he was planning on having me sneak next to him in line and act like he had been saving the spot for me. He was planning on staying there as well. What a knucklehead.

Lol

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009

Haha, that's something I would do.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Someone tried selling their spot for a 64GB White iPhone for a £100. He got told off by security and laughed at by the line. Wonder what he ended up doing. :confused:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Joined an AT&T line just before 7am. I was 17th in line. It rained on us. Shared umbrellas with two complete strangers. Both were really nice people. Great crowd.

Strange thing? The guy next to me in line turned out to be one of my neighbors. I'd never met him before. My neighborhood only has 41 houses in it and we haven't lived here long. What are the odds? :)

He was a really nice guy, too. Small world.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I just got to the AT&T store way to early. Was there at 1:30 was second in line with my son and the next person to show up was like 4:30 than the next about 5:30. Heck if I waited till 5:35 I would have been 5th inline. Lol

Damn I could have stayed in bed for several hours longer. Outside of that nothing exciting it was quiet and peaceful. Which was nice

I actually enjoy doing it as you meet some nice folks and its kind of fun in a weird way. Lack of sleep for a old dog is not fun but you get plenty of that when your dead , right. LOL

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Holy crap, where was this?

Lexington, KY. It had actually been peaceful up until that. Someone had to ruin it all I guess. They said that they had been there the night before at 6pm so they figured that put them at the front.

----------

They should have arrested all of them as I'm sure the other 2 were model citizens. lol

That's what all of us thought. But they let them go and the last anyone saw of them they were walking back up to the main road that the mall is on.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Got ANY picture?

The Apple store I went to had 10+ security personnel all over and they make sure no one cut the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.