Anything known about the camera of the next gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Cod3rror, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Camera is one of the most important deciding factors when buying a smartphone for me, I was wondering if there are any rumours or leaks regarding the 6th gen iPhone's camera?

I don't really care about the megapixels and the quality is already really good but what I'd love is an even more improved framerate and a better video stabilization.

Also camera.app features, burst shot, timer, etc...

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I like best shot, but that would count as copying I guess...

3. tann macrumors 68000

I heard the f number will go from f/2.4 to f/2.2.
    Apart from that I don't think much will change... Maybe the rumored panoramic photo taking feature will make it into the app, who knows really.

I think the next big camera update will be in 2013 personally.

4. HenryJobs macrumors member

i wish they would make it 12mp, and make the front cam 5mp with 720p vid.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Megapixels mean nothing if the optics are terrible.

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

This is so true, but some still hold onto the notion that more pixels mean better performance/pictures and that is far from the truth. All they have to do is Google it and find out the truth ;) Better slightly larger sensor and optics will, with a 8 MP lens out perform a 12 MP camera that has a subpar sensor and optics.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57...more-isnt-always-better-smartphones-unlocked/

7. tann macrumors 68000

It's for this reason I doubt we will see a MP upgrade until next year. Even then I don't see it going past 10MP (especially if the phone is under 8mm thick as well).

8. HenryJobs macrumors member

True, but apple optics are already best in the phone industry

----------

Also, optical zoom and manual focus :)

9. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Nothing has been said, but I'm sure it'll be better than the iPhone 4S

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Thought it was Sony made...

11. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

It's Sony's sensor, Apple designed the optics.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

You sure about that?

13. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I still really wish they would find a way to get an optical zoom in there, like the Cybershots that have an optical zoom that stays completely within the housing. 3x or so would make a world of difference.

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Apple uses two suppliers for the iPhone 4S rear camera sensor, one is Sony and the other is OmniVision. I believe OmniVision actually has been supplying camera chips longer than Sony has for Apple. Optics is supplied by a few Taiwanese firms but I'm not sure who the actual designer would be.

That type of "inner zoom" goes further than just what's seen on the surface though. They use a prism to bend the light and put the zoom lens within the body. There will be no space to put that type of lens in iPhone. Here's a picture from what I think was the first consumer camera of that type (Minolta DiMage X) where you can see the lens extending in the body.

[​IMG]

15. chokem macrumors 6502

Since Apple did a major upgrade on the camera from the 4 to the 4S, I'm betting the i5 camera will be the same as the 4S.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The iPhone camera is one of the most used cameras in the world.

No doubt Apple will be doing an upgrade.

Not only will the lens be kick butt, you know Apple will lock down supply for months, so no competitors will be will be using the same lens for awhile.

17. profets macrumors 68040

Funny, we've had so many leaks but not the camera yet, while in the past we had some decent rumors of camera changes.

I'm extremely happy with the camera in the 4S, so it wouldnt bother me if it hung around for the new iPhone.

18. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That is what concerns me, also the phone, if leaks are to be believed is thinner, so the sensor is probably smaller... maybe they are aiming for the same quality as the smaller size? Like with the running times, they add battery, improve internals and balance them out in such a way and the standby, talk, browsing, etc... times stay the same, no improvements, no degradations.

Besides that, Nokia's N8 and 808 PureView kind of spoiled/ruined it me, the N8 is from 2010 and there still no phone that matches it in photography, PureView is even better, it'll probably be 5 years, at least, before everybody else catches up to it.

So yea, I'm kinda of cautiously optimistic for the 6th gen iPhone's camera.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That front camera needs to get upgraded more than anything. It's pathetically behind.

20. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Sure but if improvements to both can be had, why not. Personally I enjoy the higher megapixel size I get from my Canon because I do a lot of video work, and the larger the original size the more flexibility to crop the pic or objects in pic down.

21. 84jeepjohn macrumors newbie

I too would like to see a bump on the front facing camera. However, over FT (FYI I'm deployed half way around the world) I get crappy images from both the front and rear on my son's 4s. When I was home I seemed to get way better images. Now I'm NOT complaining per se, cause it's NICE to see the kids growing up while I'm stuck out here.

22. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

You guys might be interested in this new Sony CMOS sensor for phones that debuted earlier this year - which is said to be shipping in march, june and august respectively for different sensors.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248797/sonys_new_backlit_cmos_camera_phone_sensor_can_shoot_hdr_movies.html

I might be very happy if Apple decides to include the 8 megapixel camera with HDR movie shooting capability and the new RGBW sensor which is said to greatly improve sensitivity to light.
    Even better, they could go with the 13 megapixel variant with the same HDR and RGBW features.
    I just simply hope they will not go with the same sensor that is already in the 4S. The 4S takes great pictures, but it doesn't hurt to have even better ones.
    And also, the sensor is said to be thinner, which fits the new iPhone's thinner chassis.

23. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Nah. It was confirmed a while ago that the lens on the new iPhone is bigger. I'm more concerned about the front camera tho.

24. chokem macrumors 6502

LOL. Confirmed by who? If we don't even have a real picture of the actual device , how can we believe speculated specifications?

25. gadget123 macrumors 68000

The rumours suggest this:

*It will stay 8MP.

*The front camera moves to the middle (maybe upgrade the mega pixels on this?)

*Panorama mode was in IOS6 but hidden I'm sure? Might be good to enable it in IOS6 make use of the nice 16:9 and the larger 4" screen.