Anyway I can downgrade to Lion from Mountain Lion on Retina??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Aug 20, 2012.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

My rMBP unfortunately came with Mountain Lion installed. Anyway I can downgrade this POS update back down to Lion?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea, via fresh install.

3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

4. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but none of that helps me and I already searched. My retina display came preinstalled with Mountain Lion and I want to go back to Lion. From what I've already read, Snow Leopard isn't compatible with Retina Macbooks because of hardware incompatibility.

And yes, Mountain Lion is a POS lol.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wondering the same thing. :confused:

6. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I've read that it clears up a lot of issues I'm currently having with my MB... audio stuttering, excessive lag, battery drain, etc.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You read wrong lol

8. joshualee90 macrumors member

Get your hands on the Lion install. Make a bootable USB. Boot from USB and fresh install the OS(use disk utility to format your drive) Remember to back up your files this will delete all your files.

9. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Read wrong? Lol, people are complaining of major battery drain issues among others from Mountain Lion alone.. do your homework!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408062,00.asp

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/tests-show-mountain-lion-may-indeed-degrade-battery-life/

need I say more? :)

----------

Since my macbook pro retina came with the Mountain Lion update installed... doesn't that mean I already own Lion? Where do I get it?

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Their issue are user specific. More user dont have issues than do, statistics are not on your side...

11. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

Ok, some people has problems with ML, but, do you have any problem? Or just because you read that others have problems with ML you don't want it?

12. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

tons of problems. Again.... battery life, audio stuttering (which I've read on apple forums is cured by downgrading back to Lion).. lag, etc.

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

How did you arrive at that?

You could probably buy the Lion thumb drive at an Apple store somewhere. Ebay is probably the best bet.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why dont u try a fresh install of mountain lion before going to lion?

15. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

i never had that with mountain lion. just do a fresh install or something

or maybe its all in your head....

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Does an internet restore come up with lion or mountain lion? ( alt-cmd-R at boot time )

I'm curious to know if they updated the firmware for this at same time.

17. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I haven't tested this, but I'm almost sure that if your computer came with Lion, Internet Recovery downloads a Lion image; if your computer came with Mountain Lion, Internet Recovery downloads an ML image. I believe it is somehow tied to your serial number. So if your computer shipped with ML, you can't go to Lion simply by doing a restore...I think Apple's servers look up the serial number and then send you the latest version of the image for the OS that your computer shipped with from the factory.

So for computers that are now shipping with ML but previously came with Lion, the only way to get to Lion would be to find someone who is willing to give you a copy of the Lion install DMG for that particular model. For some laptops, the App Store Lion image will work fine; for others, including the Retina, you CANNOT use the App Store version of Lion (or the version that comes on the USB key, which amounts to the same thing) because it was released before the Retina computer was even announced, so it doesn't contain all of the necessary driver support for that computer. Apple made a special build of 10.7.4 specifically for the 2012 MacBook Pros, and that's the only version of Lion they will run. So if you can find someone nice enough to give you a copy... :)

Now, this will all theoretically change once 10.7.5 is released. 10.7.5 will in theory merge in all of the changes made for the special Retina version of Lion back into the mainline version of Lion. The question is whether Apple will release a new complete DMG installer based on 10.7.5, or whether it will only be distributed as an update to 10.7.4. If they come out with a DMG, and if they push that DMG out via the App Store as they have with previous updates, if you had previously purchased Lion through the App Store and your iTunes account reflects that, you should be able to download it upon its release. If you have NOT ever purchased Lion from the App Store, it might be too late...I think they pulled down the Lion page from the App Store when they launched ML.

-- Nathan

EDIT: ...of course, I would guess that 10.7.5 and 10.8.1 will probably be released in concert together, and if 10.8.1 fixes all of your ML issues, then even though a Retina-compatible version of Lion will finally be generally available, it may be a moot point by then.

18. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'm keen to know if this is the case, if it is, it would be very annoying for rMBP users, as every one of them is entitled to free copy of ML, so every one of them should be able to internet recover to ML, or be able to at least choose which they want somehow.

19. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

No...

20. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I figure that for computers that came with Lion, Apple expects you to Internet Recover to Lion, then re-download ML through the App Store and run through the upgrade.

Note that if you have a computer that came with Lion, but you upgraded to Mountain Lion, the Recovery partition was also upgraded alongside the main OS. So if you still have an intact Recovery partition, then initiating a reinstall of the OS will in fact cause it to download Mountain Lion. But for Internet Recovery, which you have to use in the case of a completely blank hard drive, I think you will have to go through the motions of installing Lion first.

(You can, of course, take your App Store ML download and make a bootable install disc out of it, and just skip the whole Internet Recovery thing entirely if you ever need to reinstall.)

-- Nathan

21. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

This is what I do, I have a SD card handy with ML on it (and slipstream updates from the App Store when I can) and keep it if the HD fails. Well on my MacBook at least. I can't change the SSD on my rMBP.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nathan speaks the truth. Listen to him. Read this.

23. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

His only correct point is the battery drain. Even Apple knows about this issue existing. It's supposed to be addressed in the .1 update that was previewed a week ago.

That said, OP should consider doing a clean install of ML before assuming that Lion is better only because it's older. Also understand that Apple will gear future updates to ML and focus on rMBP improvements there as well. Just look at the graphics improvement in ML vs L on the rMBP.