Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-apple-T

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I was looking to get an imac and I still have my current pc. I was wondering if I could hook up my current pc to an imac and buy something to switch back and forth.

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm afraid that it is not possible. But the iMac makes a pretty good PC, and because it can run Windows either by Emulation or natively by Bootcamp, it can do basically anything that any PC can do, unless you have a gaming PC of course.

ravishankarr

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
If you're considering a software based option, look at Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac to connect your iMac to your PC (I am assuming it is running Windows OS). If you're running linux - vnc server on the pc and a vnc client (Chicken of the VNC) would do the same trick.

Here is a good link for various connectivity options:

http://weblog.bignerdranch.com/?p=14

Hope this helps!
-Ravi

M-apple-T

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
thanks for the info and yea, the computer I have is a gaming pc. I just thought things would be easier on one monitor .
thanks again though.

M-apple-T

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
If you're considering a software based options, look at Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac to connect your iMac to your PC (I am assuming it is running Windows OS). If you're running linux - vnc server on the pc and a vnc client (Chicken of the VNC) would do the same trick.

Here is a good link for various connectivity options:

http://weblog.bignerdranch.com/?p=14

Hope this helps!
-Ravi

Alright cool thanks i'll check it out

Geek 2.0

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
You also could get another monitor and hook up your mac to it and then get a monitor switcher, so when you use your mac you get 2 monitors, and then you use your PC you get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.