Anyway to ask Apple if I can write a certain type of app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MrMister111, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Is there any email/contact you can ask Apple if your "allowed" to make a specific type of app?

or is it a case of read the developers rules as such and obey them? I want to make an app that I dont think is allowed at moment switch off BT/WiFi etc?

I think this would be greatly received and work well, and is what Apple iOS user would need?

cheers

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'll save you a lot of reading and a waste of an email.

Dear xxxxx

No you cannot write an app to do that.

Cheers

God!

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Honestly though is that what would be said? if so its pointless, although as I dont use Xcode, do the development tools even allow you to write this in the 1st place anyway?

cheers

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There aren't public APIs to switch on and off BT/WiFi/etc, that's why you only see those apps for jailbroken phones. I had a BT toggle and WiFi toggle app rejected, and that's when they had an open URL scheme for doing it. The reasoning was that the URL scheme wasn't publicly documented and could change at any time. Sure enough, next iOS update they changed it so that the apps wouldn't work. If that's what you're trying to do with your app, don't waste your time. You might get lucky and sneak it by a lazy reviewer, but as soon as it gets some press, it'll get pulled.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure at all how its done, but I was honestly prepared to learn from scratch how to do it and code it as an app to do it, but dont want to waste time if its not allowed anyway.

I think this would sell loads, as a lot of iOS iPhone users want this dont they? I know I do!

no use in emailing either then :confused:

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They're telling you that in the past these types of apps got pulled, so no, don't even bother.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Cannot be done using the public APIs, which means Apple will not allow it in the App Store.