Anyway to convince apple not to charge me the restocking fee?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Mar 7, 2008.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I just returned an Apple MBP because i didnt like OS X. I went back to using Windows.
    Now, is ther anyway to convince apple not to charge me the restocking fee?

Thanks

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Not if you opened and repackaged a defect-free machine.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

Certain apple stores are nice and waive the restocking fee as long as you're within 14 days, others are just strict.

4. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Well, it was the online refurb store. So i would have to call the 1-800 number. Any ideas?

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

How did you return a refurb at all? I thought the terms stated refurbs were not returnable.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can talk to manager about it. Usually they will only waive the restocking if you are returning a machine so you can upgrade or if it's defective (So make it defective).

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Dude, I'm going to say one thing.

Unless if there's a financial reason, or another personal issue associated with owning the MBP, DONT Return it.

Look I remember 3 months ago, when I first switched to Mac OSX.
    I friggin Hated it. Sure it was cool and all, but everything I knew and Liked was now upside down. I've used Windows for about 12 years now, so it was a big change. Stick with it for a little while longer, If you still don't like it or can't see yourself ever adjusting, RETURN It.

Another Suggestion would be to maybe try Bootcamp and installing Windows just till your done going through your Mac OSX teething process.

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I bought an 8gb iphone refurb a while ago and decided to return it and keep my 4gb. They not only paid for the return shipping but I was not charged a restocking fee either.

BTW, didnt like OSX so went back to Windows? Wow is all I can say. I wasnt blown away by OSX when I initially used it almost 2yr ago. I cant say I didnt like it, but I didnt see anything super fantastic about it right away. But ask me know and Ill tell you its far superior than any flavor of Windows. It just took me more time to appreciate it because I never had many of the problems with Windows that alot of ppl do.

9. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what were some of the things you discovered overtime which made you appreciate OS X?

10. jcgnu macrumors regular

Don't know bout him, but I just got my first Mac here, and I already love it way more than I ever liked Windows.... One thing makes the difference: MacOS X just works! If I ask the computer to do something it'll do it, unlike Windows that sometimes seems to be alive and trying to piss me off by doing whatever it prefers to do, instead of what I ask it to...

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I really cant put a finger on specific things. I mean there is the obvious, that being the OS itself doesnt get bogged down with bad dll files and need to be reformatted every 6mo to a year.

Plus less crashes/freeze ups. Yes, Ive had a few in OSX that were unrecoverable and I had to power off/on. But way, way less than in Windows. Granted I cant speak for Vistas stability as Ive never used it, but I know its gotten a pretty bad rap for just overall usability.

Once I had gotten away from doing things the "windows way", I think OSX just seemed more natural and fluid. Apps seem way better integrated with one another. I boot into parallels every now and again and XP just seems very disjointed to me now.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The usual method to convince people to do something is to put yourself into their position, find out what would be a reason for them to do it, like how it would benefit them, and then approach the problem from that point of view.

If you are switching back to Windows, I can't see any benefit for Apple not to charge you a restocking fee, so that would be tough.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What you are advising him to do is either outright stupid (if they find out that he damaged his computer on purpose and refuse to take it back) or fraud (if he convinces Apple to take his computer back because they sold him a defective computer, when he has damaged it himself, that is fraud) which is a criminal offence.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, way to suggest committing fraud.:rolleyes:

15. f1 macrumors 6502

You can always try, the "I just switched over to Mac and I love it, but i don't think the MBP is enough for my needs and i think i need to go with a Mac Pro, but i just want a few weeks to think it over... What?? You're going to charge me a restocking fee to return my MBP, I don't think i'll want to buy a Mac Pro if you're going to do that...." I know several people who have done that and had the restocking fee waived, although they bought brand new MBPs not refurbs.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Jesus people. Must you take everything that's said here seriously. :rolleyes:

My first computer has a squeaky hinge, and I asked for a replacement. They told me that they wouldn't normally exchange it unless it was defect that's all. Not suggesting fraud. Just saying it would be best if you can find something wrong with it. Seriously, if you find the keyboard creaks and convince the store, it's not to say open the computer and desolder the CPU or something.

17. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I was in a sort of situation like this. I bought a 17" iMac (remember those) and decided that I wanted a 20" instead. I figgered they would waive the restocking fee since I was upgrading. Boy was I wrong. Apple store manager was a major AH. Need less to say, after the jerkiness of the manager, it became a return rather than an exchange- and, yes, they did get me for the restock.

So I called up AMEX. AMEX reversed the FULL charge when I complained, so Apple then lost the sale AND the restock fee.

So, my lesson to you is, call up the CC company. Depending on the terms (and these do vary), and what your CC company can do. AMEX is pretty good about this- they covered part of that 200 discount Apple did on the iPhone, and they do go to bat for you in instances like this.

18. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I got them to waive the restocking fee by saying i was going to upgrade to a BTO 2.6 7200RPM 15" and i really am going to do that, but i think if you tell them your going to upgrade and if they charge you a restocking fee then you wont be able to they may waive it.

Sometimes if you force the genius into saying something completely idiotic then they may waive the restocking fee to save their rep. That happened to me sunday, i asked something about dead pixels and this girl genius just looke me into the eye and said "dead pixels are very common in LCD's, in fact most LCD's will have 2-3 dead pixels" and when she said that the guy sitting next to me almost laughing and said "thats not true lol" and i just looked at her in the eyes and said "you cant honestly be serious here" and she waived the restocking fee. Read the first paragraph to increase your chances of waiving the restocking fee, in reality the 2nd paragraph will lessen your chances.