Anyway to create an itunes account without Credit Card/gift card/paypal accout

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 21, 2008.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I've done some research and maybe Apple has changed the rules with the iTunes sign up process.

I got my one of my user names for iTunes a long time ago (around the time it originally launched or maybe it was associated with my Apple ID). Either way, I signed up a few years ago and I never had to give my credit card info or anything else.

I'm trying to create an iTunes account for my wife to use with her iPhone 3g. Basically using it so she can download free applications and that's it. Is there anyway to sign up for iTunes without a Credit Card number/paypal/gift card?

I emailed Apple support and they are insisting on something. I told them I only wanted to download free applications and had no intention on paying for anything else form iTunes.

The reason I am trying to do this is to prevent my wife from making impulse buys from iTunes and this creates a barrier so she doesn't just click on the buy button on iTunes on the iPhone. I'm not being cheap with her, I just blew over 2K on a Louis Vuitton handbag for her birthday. It's that she likes buys useless things like TV shows on the Apple TV that the DVR could have easily recorded (because I stored my other Apple ID with the credit card information on it).

2. ajwchin macrumors member

When you sign up just don't enter credit card information, there should be an option for it. She will be able to download anything free but if she tries to buy something it will prompt for credit card information.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Go buy a VISA gift card and use that to sign up and then use the gift card as cash.

4. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

ITunes is giving me this message," This Apple ID has not yet been used with the iTunes Store"

I click on "Review" button

I get to the "Review Your Payment Information" page, it has her name and address on it and ask for a credit card information. I leave the credit card blank and click on continue but it gives me an error message basically saying I have to give the CC information.

5. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Exellent idea. I will do that! Seems simple enough.