Anyway to disable Autosave and Versions on Lion GM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ctnguye3, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ctnguye3 macrumors member

Is there a way to disable autosave and versions on the GM version of Lion, I don't like that its slowing eating up my hard drive space. I know in earlier developer preview versions of Lion, you could disable it in the Time Machine preference, but in the GM, its not there anymore.

2. legendzm macrumors member

3. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

To disable "resume", head over to System Preferences > General > Untick "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

4. Soliber macrumors regular

Aren't they delta differences? From what I read, it's doubtful that you'll ever notice the impact of Versions on your hard drive as far as free space goes. And I do mean "ever".

5. rodknocker macrumors 6502

I disabled this option, but windows will still restored.

Does i have to reboot or logoff?

6. danb77 macrumors 6502

Take my advice, you do not want to disable Autosave! It wastes hardly any space (these are delta updates) and this feature will save your life many times. :)

Give it a year (less) and you will think the old way of saving files was hopelessly archaic. Apple have pulled a blinder with this. Best feature in Lion IMO.

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

I also have the save windows checkbox marked whenever i log off, wish i could disable this, just like the autosave. It might be nice but i want to be able to turn it off if i want to.

8. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I would reboot, yeah.

9. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

haha, I actually like the resume feature, hopefully when they release the retail version, theres an on/off switch for all these new features.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just lock the document and it won't autosave. Click on the little icon in the center of the title bar and choose lock.

11. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

GM is the retail version. Same thing.

12. stukick macrumors regular

stukick

Thanks. You rule. I hate this feature!!!!

13. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

trying to write review, can't find auto save anything!

I don't see anything in the Lion interface for auto save (versions, lock, etc.) and even in sys prefs, I don't see anything either. Can someone help? thx!

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

System Preferences > Time Machine > Options.

15. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Thx! So all of auto save is keyed off Time Machine, and if u don't use it, u don't get auto save in any "auto save-enabled" apps? Interesting... I'm not using TM (using CCC on a hourly schedule) but may switch if this is the case. Maybe...
    cheers!

16. andrekiba macrumors newbie

I can't deselect System Preferences > General > Untick "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" !!
    Closing and reopening System Preferences the option remains always checked!
    why?? :confused::mad:
    I hate this useless option...only serves to create disorder!

17. andrekiba macrumors newbie

I tried deleting files:
    com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile
    in ~/Library/Preferences but nothing...I can't disable this stupid option... :mad:

18. evripidis macrumors newbie

evripidis

Any ideas to be that UNchecked by default;

Attached Files:

19. mysticalos macrumors member

partial work around. Go into time machine settings, click options, set auto lock to 1 day. (why this setting is there and not somewhere else is beyond me, it's not even an actual TM option). it will auto lock files after 1 day and as such prevent accidental saving of auto save.

as for why you want to disable a feature like this since people decided to chime in. Because I don't want temporary changes to be saved to a document. or accidental changes. Even if i can revert those changes by versioning, it's still tedius.

I do a lot of temporary edits in my working with code and such, but don't actually want them saved unless i explicidly say to. I don't need temporary ideas i was visualizing to be saved.

As for delta writes being minor. That's fine and dandy on a HD. On an SSD, a few bytes wastes the rest of the cell that data was written to. Compound this by continuous multiple file writes as such, and while the total number of bytes may not be large, the total number of NAND cells invalidated becomes very problematic in a short amount of time.

20. Goudakins macrumors newbie

You know, this lack of preference for "auto-save" is much more dramatically bad than you would think. For example, I inserted SD card to look at pictures in Preview (sn: IPhoto, No, thanks!). I had turned off auto-save under Time Machine/Options. At first, Preview did what I wanted--specifically, it allowed me to review pics, rotate them, etc. without yelling at me to unlock the file each time I flipped a pic right, or whatnot. This way, I can go back later, after adjusting all the pics I took, and look at them all again, figure out which ones I want to keep and save them. I was interrupted so I quit out of Preview and--FRANKLY UNBELIEVABLE--the program wrote those changes to my SD card with no dialog box, no warning "how-do-you do", nada! That is a horrible, disastrous flaw. I do NOT want Apple to tell me I have to save intermediate versions unless I tell a program I want to, especially when external media are involved, but really any time. No problems if the default behavior is versioning but the user should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a choice of what to save, what not to save, to quit and save or to quit and not save. Sheesh.

21. piii666, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

piii666 macrumors newbie

Autosave is useless for some ppl

I would like to have the autosave future configurable. Personally, I would turn it off on my Mac. First, I will comment a post written by someone before: "It wastes hardly any space (these are delta updates) " - I don't even imagine delta updates of JPEG or PNG files. Basic text files (that are usually relatively small) - yes, I agree, but as it comes to word processing documents (doc, odt whatever) - it won't be so easy, and these files can be much bigger. The other thing is that some ppl might have some very private text files and they would not like to have them in multiple copies on HD (btw, where the hack these versions are kept anyway?).

But, to the point, I have Lion for just few days and I already messed up some of my pictures, not very important though - no big loss. I wanted to make a low res copy of the image to send it via email, I used Preview app, I have resized it then I quit thinking that changes were abandoned, then I moved images to the external drive (HFS too), and bang ... I discovered that picture is down sampled. I clicked around a bit and I found out that there is an option to revert changes.... but no other versions were found, since Lion apparently lost track of them during the move operation. So... it *is* dangerous and inconvenient. Now I have to avoid autosave aware programs, or in the first place make a copy if I want to change them (in Preview App, you just experiment with colors etc to check how it would look... and you don't remember whether you made a copy or not + if you do, but no changes made, remove useless copy).

Gosh, I think the whole world is going to nowhere :/ and very soon I would need to go back to linux.

22. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Agreed, versioning is a minefield, even just working locally with PDFs - you don't even get the option to not save changes, and the version system it has to be said is not at all obvious! I was trying to divide a PDF into smaller parts, but instead it just removed most of the original, and into the bargain, bless the PDF, it increased the filesize. It would be really nice to have more control back!

23. Lionhater macrumors newbie

I was considering to buy a new Mac Mini even though:

1. Apple charges ridiculous amounts for ram and SSD, makes it nearly impossible for me to replace the internal drive with SSD and instead of giving me BR discards the DVD drive as well.

2. Instead of making real improvements (a much better Dictionary.app like GoldenDict, surviving Front Row, a FLAC friendly iTunes, a Pages.app simultaneously supporting endnotes and footnotes etc. etc.), Apple tries idiotically to make a system I use on a 27 inch display resemble iOs and produces some idiotic things like Mission Control and Launchpad.

Never mind, I could disable these. But now what? Probably the most imbecile step in the whole IT history: Apple forces me to use this Autosave and Versions thing. And I can't change this.

That's enough. This company clearly hates me, tries to make my life harder. And in a few years time it's going to stuff some more idiotic things down my throat.

All my life, that is, for nearly the last twenty years I'd been using Macs, but recently I've tried Linux Mint on Mac Mini. It was perfect.

Hello Kubuntu, Linux Mint, OpenSuse... (Oh well, Ubuntu tries to be the "Lion" of Linux unfortunately.) I'm going to ask a custom PC expert to make for me a quiet, Linux friendly and BR capable computer with enough ram, SSD and so forth.

Sorry for the rant and interruption.

24. Sensamic macrumors 68030

The only way I see to avoid versions and auto save is to use apps that dont have this feature. This feature comes on apple apps by default, like preview, iwork, etc.

Office 2011 doesnt have it right now and I hope they wont include it. Instead of preview use another photo app. Instead of quicktime use another video editor.

25. piii666 macrumors newbie

Yeah, now I try to avoid built-in apps, in the meantime waiting for some one to find a trick to disable that 'feature', or Apple to step on earth and realize that this politics won't gain them any popularity (yeah, I know, ridiculous expectations). But, I liked MacOSX for simplicity + lots of things built-in just working, yet with possible customization. Now I would have to customize everything? To get rid off everything shipped with OS + be careful whether vendor didn't fall into Apple-like thinking regards Autosave? Even simple Preview app I used to make quick img editing? I don't like it, the same effort is needed to customize any linux for my needs.