Anyway to hide News Stand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I hate this stupid app bc I don't use it and can't hide it #

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Unfortunately they patched the glitch where you could toss it in a folder :(

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

So to be clear, you can no longer put Apple's bloat-apps (Newsstand, Stocks etc. etc.) into a folder?

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're jailbroken, there's a number of tweaks that will hide newsstand from the home screen. one such tweak is called NoNewsIsGoodNews.

if not, well, you can do the following: create the maximum number of home screens (is it 11?) and on the last home screen, put a couple folders with enough apps to create another home screen (which isn't possible). make newsstand the very last icon on this page, and one by one drag apps from the folders out onto the page. eventually, the newsstand icon will occupy the bottom right corner spot. the next app you drag out with push newsstand out to where you can't see it. you can then rearrange your home screens to your liking, and you won't have newsstand to deal with. unfortunately, this is not a permanent solution, as turning the device off and on with restore any icons you pushed out of view. but if you rarely restart, it's pretty cool.

the only things you can't put into folders are other folders and newsstand. you can most certainly put stocks in a folder.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Without a custom ROM just try deleting the carrier bloatware found on other phones.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Stocks and other apps can of course still be put into a folder. Newsstand is technically a folder and as such cannot be placed into a folder.

9. matttye macrumors 601

On the Galaxy S3 at least, you can HIDE any app you like even if you can't remove it.

10. philipk macrumors 6502

Yes and almost every Android device is infected with malware.

http://www.zdnet.com/bt-almost-every-android-device-is-infected-with-malware-7000001738/

I would rather put up with not being able to hide News Stand than dealing with malware.

A friend of mine is an IT guy at a major hospital. He prefers the Android system to the IOS system by a long shot. However, recently he and his wife switched to the iPhone due to malware. He gave up the more versatile system for the more stable system.

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

12. matttye macrumors 601

What the hell does malware have to do with being able to hide unwanted apps?

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

I create a back page to store useless icons and then don't go there.

14. philipk macrumors 6502

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261898/android_users_are_prime_target_for_malware.html

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/13/android-malware-2012-slow-device-updates/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57466474-83/security-firm-android-malware-pandemic-by-years-end/

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/top-5-android-malware-troublemakers-idd-828191

Or just do a Google search on your own.

15. mackinmike macrumors 6502

lol. that's what i do too.

on my s3, i just disable the app and poof, it no longer shows up.

16. philipk macrumors 6502

When a poster claims Android allows you to hide apps and therefore superior.

I have been in the Mac World since 1986. I left it a couple of times and still see value to Windows and now Android.

However, the part that keeps me with the OS X and IOS world is the semi-closed and now closed system. It gives stability!

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

18. krnboy503 macrumors regular

i don't know why the malware topic was brought up...

but yeah, i'm waiting for the jailbreak to come out so i can hide this POS. :p

19. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Stability at the expense of customizability and configurability. Not saying Android is better than iOS, but both have their advantages and benefits as well as drawbacks. Quit being so narrowminded.

20. matttye macrumors 601

You replied to me and I made no such claim that Android was superior because it allowed you to hide apps. :confused:

Don't know where you're getting that from!

I'm giving my Galaxy S3 to my fiancée tomorrow because I prefer my iPhone.

21. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I just throw it onto its own homescreen so I don't see it or think about it.

22. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

That is my option. Just put it in the last folder and seldom see it anymore. Soon Apple will force it back on page one of our home screens:mad:

23. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Not that this is any help to you but although they patched the glitch thankfully News Stand remains in the folder I immediately placed it in upon discovery of said glitch.

:cool:

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

Switch to Android. get your freedom back.

25. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

True, True, custom is all I run, Roms on Android, and Jailbreak on IOS. car, computer everything....

Stock is boring!

----------

very nice.