Anyway to make and recieve free calls via wifi?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by RalphMac, Aug 18, 2010.

1. RalphMac macrumors member

I'm on the 5000 N&W min plan (sucks lol), but i was wondering if there's an app BESIDES the ones I listed below that I can make and receive calls from someone on sprint or tmo, via wifi for free?

Two I saw so far were:

- Vonage mobile (i like, but some ppl who call me dont have smartphones, so...)
    - Line 2 (my plan is already high with unlm internet and texting, plus 450 mins lol, cant do an extra $15 lol)

2. bad angel macrumors member

bad angel

If your friends have smartphones that can use multi-platform apps like Fring and Skype, you should check those apps out since calls to/from these apps are free over Wi-Fi and 3G.

Other than that, I don't know of any apps that will provide calls to other cell phones (not through a specific app/service) for free. While you may be on a Wi-Fi network, your friends won't be and I don't know of any carrier, app, or service that won't charge you for this. Why would they? There are costs associated with maintaining any cellular or land-line network. Your carrier charges you or makes you sign up for a calling plan for just this reason.

3. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

what about skype? I know they charge a monthly fee now, but does it work where I can recieveand make US mobile calls via 3g, or wifi? I just want an app I can use that doesnt cost that much a month and I can receive calls via wifi/3g so i dont waste my anytime or n&w sometimes.