Anyway to play music besides iTunes on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Oct 27, 2013.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I may end up as a convert from a PC to a rMBP, and since I have a lot, and I mean a lot of music in windows media, I'm wondering if there's anyway I can play the WMA music files without converting all that music into iTunes? Is there a windows media program or app I can use?

Thank you.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Flip4Mac is the "official" Windows Media player for Macs. It was independently developed and then Microsoft bought the company.

Longer term, I think it's likely that Windows Media will become a legacy format with little support and the sooner you are able to convert that media to a more standard format, the better. I believe iTunes for Windows can convert your WMV files on the PC. Then you can copy the converted files to your Mac.

3. emptysands macrumors newbie

4. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

5. sarcastico macrumors newbie

sarcastico

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not that sure about their audiophile virtues, but also VLC and Winamp shall do the trick.

7. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

So will there be any problem transferring music (or other files) from my current external drive, and putting them in folders on the MBP for later conversion into iTunes?

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why would there be? A file is a file, not only on PC but also on a Mac.
    I personally wouldn't transfer them at all. Just convert from external disk and store somewhere. Although I also think expensive SSD is a waste for storing large and static media files.
    PS There's an excellent converter tool: xACT.

9. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I use Audio Xciter app on my iPhone.

Would love to know if there's a similar app for the Mac. The Audio Xciter app is $4.99 and really makes the music sound much richer -- I use it for bluetooth streaming on my Mini/Original Jamboxes and also my Big Jambox.

10. zipur macrumors 6502

I don't know, I read the reviews and it sounds like its so so. (Pun in there somewhere)