Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I hope this hasn't been asked a million times, but is there anyway to emulate Windows to be able to play graphic intense video games on a G5?

I just recently got it, thinking that Apple wouldn't completely ditch their existing consumer base this hard this fast.

My machine is more than powerful enough to run the games, its just a factor of being able to.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
falling said:
I hope this hasn't been asked a million times, but is there anyway to emulate Windows to be able to play graphic intense video games on a G5?

I just recently got it, thinking that Apple wouldn't completely ditch their existing consumer base this hard this fast.

My machine is more than powerful enough to run the games, its just a factor of being able to.

Nope. You can get Virtual PC but it's an emulator and thus runs very, very slowly and can't handle the oomph required to run high-end games. It's really only useful for very light Windows use.

Apple aren't ditching the consumer base, it's just that the G5, being a PowerPC processor, only supports emulation whereas the Intel processors allow for full, native Windows installation (Boot Camp) or virtualisation (Parallels) - both of which are a quantum leap ahead of emulation in terms of speed and graphics support. Parallels doesn't as yet support 3D acceleration but it's believed it will by the end of the year.

It's not a case of Apple not enabling full Windows support on the G5, it's a case of the G5 simply not being able to do it.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Chundles said:
Nope. You can get Virtual PC but it's an emulator and thus runs very, very slowly and can't handle the oomph required to run high-end games. It's really only useful for very light Windows use.

Apple aren't ditching the consumer base, it's just that the G5, being a PowerPC processor, only supports emulation whereas the Intel processors allow for full, native Windows installation (Boot Camp) or virtualisation (Parallels) - both of which are a quantum leap ahead of emulation in terms of speed and graphics support. Parallels doesn't as yet support 3D acceleration but it's believed it will by the end of the year.

It's not a case of Apple not enabling full Windows support on the G5, it's a case of the G5 simply not being able to do it.

fully agreed

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
Before the Intel transition, Macs were NEVER able to run Windows games. EVER. This isn't "Apple ditching their consumer base", it's you buying last-generation hardware and then expecting it to be able to do things that it couldn't do when it was new.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
falling said:
Um...they've not ditched anything - you could NEVER run windows games on a Mac. New technology has let you. Simple as.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
falling said:

Yes but not 3D games. Games like Solitaire should work fine under Virtual PC on a PowerPC CPU, but don't expect to run Doom 3 or something on there (the Windows version, I mean).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.