Anyway to preview images' metadata etc ?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by shankar2, Feb 14, 2018.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

I have high Sierra mac, so I have some JPG images I post that have metadata and XATTR data in them.

When I use the program to post these images, and do a "open" the dialog box appears, it shows the preview of the image and it shows on the right hand side image size, dimensions, created/modified date data.

Is there anyway within that window I can also see the metadata and XATTR data? That would make my work so much easier! Thanks!

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

Which "program" do you mean?

I suspect the answer is going to be "No", unless whatever program we're talking about has some preference you can toggle, or plugin support. You don't mention the name of the program so who knows! ;-)

There are many ways to view the metadata in an image:

• Most image editing apps (e.g. Photoshop) will let you see meta data
    • A small amount of metadata is available by selecting a file in Finder and selecting Finder>File>Get Info
    • If you're happy on the command line, I recommend exiftool
    • You can get *some* metadata by opening an image in Preview and selecting Preview>Tools>Show Inspector

Lastly, you might have a hunt for a QuickLook plugin for images. I'm not sure if one exists. However, you can find one that displays metadata for images then it should be possible to see the metadata just by selecting the file in Finder and hitting your space bar.

Good luck!

3. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was referring to the finder window itself file/open

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Ah, OK. I think you get what you get in the Finder Info window. To the best of my knowledge, there's no way of adding to the info provided by default.