Anyway to restore unlimited throttled ATT phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Dec 5, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

It took 12 minutes of tech support with ATT before they admitted it was throttled. Turned off phone, reset settings, wait to call me on my other phone to troubleshoot.

I have another 11 days of .5megabit speeds. Spoke to a manager and she said that they don't send any throttling warning messages even though CSR had me looking for ATT warning emails on my account. I also checked my text messages and got nothing from ATT/

Are warning messages sent when you are close to your unlimited cap? ATT press release states "In addition, this program has affected only about 3% of our customers, and before any customer is affected, they are also notified by text message." I did not get one and the conflicting accounts from supervisor and CSR are confusing.

Also supervisor stated the throttling cap would never change even after I mentioned the FTC was suiing ATT for "shady"

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/28/7084497/ftc-sues-att-over-unlimited-data-throttling

I have never been throttled so I was surprised there was no warning. It is affecting my business as I often need access to data quickly.

Anyway to restore before the billing cycle renews?

Thanks.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I got an initial throttling warning (first time I ever hit 5GB and they decided to throttle) but no subsequent warnings. No longer on unlimited since family share is better for our current usage, but I don't think it is unusual not to get an email/text.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there's no way to restore the speed till your billing cycle renews.
    Switch your data plan or deal with throttling after 5GB of data.
    No other option.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I agree. Switch to one of the plans with non-throttled data. We dumped our unlimited and very happy about it.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just as an FYI, there used to a method one could use that would disable throttling. However, that got patched pretty quickly.

As others suggested you could switch your plan but for a single line I still think the unlimited plan (really 5GB) is the best deal on AT&T right now. I wouldn't go by what the AT&T rep said about never backing off their throttling policy--that's probably just what they are told to say. They can change that at any time and the court case *might* affect it or it might not.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

There is currently no way without losing unlimited data since it's programmed into AT&T's systems, but AT&T did say that sometime next year they'll move LTE UDP holders onto the "soft" throttling plan when they hit 5GB. Under that plan, which is in place for non-LTE UDP holders after 3GB, they throttle, but only if there is network congestion. Currently, LTE holders get throttled down to 2G speeds once they hit 5GB.