Anyway to stop dragging screens with the side of a window?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Suno, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

On Windows, the only way you could drag a window like Chrome was through the top bar. If you hovered your mouse over the side of the Window, the only option you had was to readjust the size.

I'm not exactly sure on how it works on Mac, but I've noticed an annoyingly frequent amount of times when I would habitually hover my mouse to the side of one window (while multitasking) to select it, only to end up dragging it across the screen.

I also use a program called Cinch, which readjusts the window size based on which side of the screen I dragged it against, so it leads to frequent window sizes changing.

tl;dr: I want to make it so that hovering the mouse over a window only gives me the option to readjust the window size, not the ability to drag it around. I want to limit that function to the top bar where the X, minimize, and enlarge buttons are.

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

The way it should work on OS X you should only be able to drag a window from the toolbar on the window. You can resize it at any point around the window's edges.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, you should specify which version of OSX. Mine won't resize from any edge. That was added recently. Some people actually don't jump to the newest version as soon as it comes out.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

That's true… in Lion plus, you can resize at any edge. In SL and before you had to resize at the bottom right corner.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The feature was introduced in Lion, which was released in July 2011. Lion and Mountain Lion represent the majority (over 60%) of OS X installations.

OK, you should always ask what OS version someone is running, but let's not jump down their throat for daring to assume that most people upgrade. Most people do.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

My first guess would be this program causing your issues. Remove the software and see if your issues go away. You might even check with the software's author to see if they have any other reports of similar issues.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The person to whom that post was responding did not take offense. Nothing in the response was offensive. I wouldn't fit in anyone's throat anyway. And 40% is a sizable minority.