Anyway to sync all passwords back to iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by MrMister111, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68030

As part of a fault finding exercise from Apple, I had to reset my keychain on my iMac. SO now all synced passwords don't appear on my iMac, only on my iPad and iPhone. So now every time I have to re-enter all my passwords on my iMac

Is there not a way to re-sync all the passwords back to my iMac? I am logged in on iCloud, keychain is enabled. I thought the whole point would be to sync back over automatically?

thanks

2. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

It all depends on which device your iCloud Keychain considers as Master. And that can change depending on sign in and device reboot.

My advice would be, if you have an iMac backup, to restore your old keychain folder from it. And reboot. That should restore your old information.

Alternatively you could try signing in and out of iCloud on all devices. However, this runs a risk of your iCloud account deciding that your reset keychain is Master, thereby wiping your information from all devices...?

I'm hoping someone else might have a better solution for you. Good luck.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

iCloud Keychain is one of those multi-second time-saving features that can take a lot more time to troubleshoot than a user ever saved by using it.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

This begs an interesting question:

How do you determine which device is the master?

MacDann

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68030

At the moment it's just asking, on my iMac, for email and password for new sites.

However recently set up an iPad from an iCloud backup and all passwords seem to work. So why if I'm signed in on iMac can it not sync them?

6. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the question... In this situation, I would ensure a backup first before doing anything. And then sign out of iCloud on all devices, removing all data from the devices. Therefore, leaving everything in the cloud. Then reboot each device. Sign into each, one by one. And keep my fingers crossed. The idea being that the cloud becomes Master and the devices pick that up on each sign in...