Anyway to unlock a 3GS with 3.1.3, MC136LL, AT&T 5.6, 5.12.01?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chiefroastbeef, Apr 26, 2010.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

From my research so far I believe I am screwed, but just want to double check with you iphone warriors. :eek:

I am a Blackberry fanboy, however, my father owns both Blackberries and Iphones. I've been jailbreaking his old iphone so he can use the iAcess Chinese writing program. However, 3 weeks ago his iphone fell out and he lost it.

He was in the States last week and bought a plan+ 3GS with ATT thinking the iphone would work in HK. From my research on the web so far, I believe we are screwed because:

1. It is a firmware 3.1.3, and nothing was saved to Cydia's server thing, thus I cannot downgrade to 3.1.2

Well.. that is pretty much the deciding factor I think. I called my father's Hong Kong provider (Three), and they told me to call Apple HK because the phone is from Mordor.

Besides crying and begging Apple HK tomorrow, is there no snowflake/snowplow/snowcone solution to unlocking a brand new 3GS 3.1.3 iphone?

Thank you very much, I just want to make sure I am screwed indefinitely. Unless Apple HK decides to unlock it for me.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, not possible at the moment.
    And Apple in HK will not unlock a US AT&T iphone.
    Your best bet is to get one from HK.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Only AT&T can unlock an iPhone it sells. Neither Apple nor any HK carrier can do so. AT&T, by the way, does not unlock iPhones.

The timeline for a jailbreak and unlock for your grandfather's phone is indefinite, yes, but not infinite. It is likely that a jailbreak will be released for 3.1.3 in the near future, though an unlock will probably not be released until after the new iPhone is out in July.

4. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah crap.... Well thanks guys, I will wait until snowcake comes out with a new jailbreak for 3.1.3. He'll just have to continue using his old 2G (he lost his 3G) in the mean time.

Is the release of a jailbreak for 3.1.3 hopeful? Or should we wrap up the AT&T 3GS, mummify it, and put it in a time-capsule?

5. goldensk8brder macrumors newbie

does anyone know how to downgrade with this information???????????

i'm at the same situation:
    okay, so I have an iphone 3gs that i recently go 16g, model number MC136LL, modem firmware 05.12.01, with the NEW BOOTROM, i tried using redsnow to do whatever it does, and still didn't work.

I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware from this site that i used to jailbreak another 3gs with the old bootrom and it worked. all i did was put it into dfu mode and used shift+restore and restored under the 3.1.2 firmware, and then got an error of 1015 and then used quickpwn to restore it and it worked.

so i have a 3gs with a new bootrom, and it pops up with an error "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

6. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

This is because you are on 3.1.3 and you cannot Jailbreak a 3Gs on 3.1.3

This works because you can only use custom FW's on old bootrom 3Gs'

Because apple isn't signing 3.1.2 FW restores on the 3Gs. This does not affect restoring custom FW's(which you cannot do:().
    The only way to downgrade is for you to have had your unique SHSH blob on file from a previous JB. As you have a new phone this is not possible.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible at the moment.

8. zctomo macrumors newbie

Is it maybe possible to unlock it with one of those turbo sim cards, or universal sim?

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Omg

No it's not there is no jb/ul at the moment. It can be asked a million way's it still no.

10. dcguy12 macrumors newbie

I hate the fact that I used to have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS, and for the past two month's I haven't been able to do anything with it since it went into recovery mode and had to restore with an upgrade.
    Sooooo frustrating!

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you would of asked for help when it was in recovery mode (instead of restoring) their was a 50/50 chance we could have directed you how to restore it.

Too late now. Sorry.

12. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Geohot said he will not be releasing a new jailbreak anytime soon. He says to keep an eye out for the "Sprit" jailbreak from the dev team. Nobody knows when that's gonna be out.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Or maybe

he is just using the art of redirection. ;) don't look at me talk to them! :p

14. dcguy12 macrumors newbie

I was on the road, using my jailbroken phone running 3.1.2 and using Tom Tom Navigation, listening to Podcasts and I think I got a text message or something that put it permanently in recovery mode. I was far away from home for about a week and really needed to use my iPhone as a real phone, so I found an old 386 laptop in a friends closet, fixed the PCMCIA NIC on it, downloaded iTunes, the only version I could find, attempted to download the latest, but some cracker site was asking for money for an older version I tried to find, so downloaded straight from apple.
    After a few tries it iTunes actually detected my iPhone so I restored it.

No, I had never thought about backing up anything o Cydia, why would anyone think about doing that? I barely trust Cydia anyway, or Rock for that matter. Any company trying to sell me cracked applications I usually shy away from.

So all of that was a few month's ago and I'm screwed. No solution at all, so now I'm stuck with 3.1.3 and listening to all of these new jailbreak fixes that don't work, trust me I've tried reverting back many different ways, from RedSnow to Don't eat the YellowSnow(Zappa).

sux

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cydia doesn't have a single "cracked" app on it unless you choose to add a repo with cracked apps. I use Cydia daily and don't have a single cracked app on my phone.

Cydia is the jailbroken equivalent of the App Store. Why did you jailbreak your phone if not to use Cydia for jailbroken apps ?

16. tdang1 macrumors newbie

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

18. Snowcake macrumors regular

Well, i have the 3GS now.

19. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Is it true that there is an unlock available for the 3.1.3 and 4.0 OS, but the dev team is holding it till its actually released? I hope so. My whole selling this phone is riding on it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.