AOC Monitor and MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Carny13, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Carny13 macrumors newbie

Hey guys was looking at getting this monitor as it is available at my place of work for $125 taxes in. Tried hooking it up with a moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and the monitor looked like it didn't habe very good resolution. Is there anything I can do to make it look better. It's super fuzzy and looks kinda blurry. The adapter said it supported up to 4k I'm new to all this. http://ca.aoc.com/monitor_displays/q2963pm

2. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

I'm afraid you will have to buy a miniDP → DUAL-LINK DVI Adapter such as this one here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

A bit pricey...yes... but your only chance to reach the displays maximum/native resolution.

3. Jimjimhurta macrumors newbie

Not to sure of a problem, but one i might see is that your model's GPU couldn't process the higher resolutions, it is around the same amount of pixels of a 4K monitor and if it is under intel iris or 5000 it might not be able to support 4K or an amount of pixels similar. if that makes sense.

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

It has display-port connection, so why not just go with a mini display port to display port cabel?

5. Jimjimhurta macrumors newbie

Okay, I am still not sure which model you have, but try using a MDP to HDMI, MDP to DVI(usually the high price does not really matter ) MDP to Display port * http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-32AWG-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B0034X6SCY * From experience and other's input this usually worked more effectively. Additionally, the 21:9 just might not be compatible, TBH I am not sure about 21:9, but again only my input.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

Again, to echo another poster's question, why not just use DisplayPort? It's almost guaranteed to work whereas HDMI is almost guaranteed not to.

7. Jimjimhurta macrumors newbie

More monitors are going towards Displayport cause its more trustworthy.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Dunno about trustworthy but it definitely supports higher resolutions straight out of a Mac.

9. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Oh... I didn't see that it has DisplayPort... sorry.

In this case go for a miniDisplayPort → DisplayPort cable.

10. Carny13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I got a startech Mini DisplayPort to displayport cable on order. Will post results once it comes in. Hope this works got such a steal on this monitor