Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AOL and MusicNet

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNN Money reports that AOL may be breaking out on its own -- and ending a relationship with Amazon.com.

The company plans to build on its music offerings, which now include online music subscription service MusicNet, with a digital music store that will let users burn as many songs to CDs as they want on an additional fee or a la carte basis.

This may end previous rumors of AOL and Apple cooperation with regard to the iTunes Music Store.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And I didn't know about the rumour of Apple and AOL. I heard Apple and Amazon, but not AOL. Anyway, teaming up with AOL would probably increase sales, but it's just another example of another company riding Apple's innovative coattails. I'd rather Apple team up with Amazon. Amazon would have something to offer Apple, and vice versa.

Comment

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I think AOL isn't really interested enough in a partnership with Apple... just yet that is.
There just isn't enough business to be had, even though the Mac community is promising. Unfortunate, and sadly, the PC community will be how AOL will rake in an enormous amount of profit.
I think if apple had an iTunes software for windows that AOL could exclusively distribute, life would be grand for both platforms. And it would possibly push M$ out of the picture.
Until they bought AOL of course...
I think AOL on their own is a bad idea. Apple's concept is where it's at... they just need a bigger selection... and a broader user base would be the solution. AOL and Apple together could do this.
I hope this doesn't end previous rumors of AOL and Apple's cooperation with regard to the iTunes Music Store. Although I thought I heard something about Apple and Amazon.

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
But Amazon could also make iTunes downloadable. Some people would only want to purchase a single song instead of an entire album. iTMS would be the perfect way to do it. Everybody who visits Amazon is comfortable with online purchasing. This is the type of person Apple has to aim for.

Comment

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Big Deal

Oh, yeah...big deal.

AOL is ending its relationship with everyone. They've had so many setbacks because of broadband and other dial-up ISPs. The reason being there's nothing special about AOL anymore. I can get everything I got from AOL for $15 less. (Juno costs $9.95 and I use iChat to access AIM)

Their problem is that they haven't realized this. They charge $23.95 for dial-up access and for some reason, $14.95 ($9.95 for now) for bring-your-own broadband access. So tell me, why would I pay $40 for cable or DSL and then pay an additional $15 for AOL? And why would I pay $24 for dial-up when I get the same thing for $10?

This company is having a lot of trouble catching up with the times. They have to come to terms with the fact that they aren't special anymore.

I'm glad there's no relationship between AOL and Apple. AOL might have brought down its allies with it.

Comment

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
It would be great if Apple and Amazon co-operated, hopefuly iTMS would be available to a broader range of countries. We still seem to be stuck with US isolation!

Comment

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
The idea of amazon teaming with apple sounds good but... wouldn't this take away from the ease of iTMS where you download it and it appears in iTunes ready to play... so how would amazon improve or help, i guess that is the question. On one level it would improve sales by amazon possibly offering sales directly on their site, on another it would take away the ease of use, which may users love about apple. I think that apple is better off on their own and apple should push the labels to submit more stuff, last tuesday was pathetic, only a handful of new albums.

Comment

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
"AOL Music Downloads: 300,000 Tracks. Not a single uninterrupted download. Try it today!"

Sorry, I just can't get worried over anything that's being done to counter the iTMS right now.

Comment

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Has anybody noticed the fact that nobody as of yet has done remotely the same thing Apple has? So obviously, none will do just as good as the iTMS can. So . . . obviously, one of two things has two be true (or both, if Apple's lucky): either Apple has some sort of freakish patent on a non-subscription service, or the record companies are loyal to Apple and won't let anybody else use their songs under the non-subscription service (which is impossible unless it's in their contract somewhere). . .

Comment

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by j33pd0g
And it would possibly push M$ out of the picture.
Until they bought AOL of course...

I don't think that would be possible. If AOL were more profitable, I might see it happening the other way around, but I just don't think that Microsoft can gobble AOL or AOL can gobble Microsoft at the moment. Someone with more expertise correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Re: Big Deal

Originally posted by NoCleverSNForMe
Oh, yeah...big deal.

AOL is ending its relationship with everyone. They've had so many setbacks because of broadband and other dial-up ISPs. The reason being there's nothing special about AOL anymore. I can get everything I got from AOL for $15 less. (Juno costs $9.95 and I use iChat to access AIM)

Their problem is that they haven't realized this. They charge $23.95 for dial-up access and for some reason, $14.95 ($9.95 for now) for bring-your-own broadband access. So tell me, why would I pay $40 for cable or DSL and then pay an additional $15 for AOL? And why would I pay $24 for dial-up when I get the same thing for $10?

This company is having a lot of trouble catching up with the times. They have to come to terms with the fact that they aren't special anymore.

I'm glad there's no relationship between AOL and Apple. AOL might have brought down its allies with it.

I couldn't agree with you more! The company is really going down the tubes (AOL that is). Sadly, the most useful thing AOL ever did was the one to weaken it most: Making the AIM database available to other companies. It made AIM oust Yahoo and MSN, but the problem here is: It's free! Boosting brand recognition has marginal benefit to AOL and few people switch to AOL's pay-services after using AIM.

Anyway, back to the topic. I am still a little bit wary of this. Although AOL is on its way down hill, that is going to be a small-incline process. It's not tanking anytime soon. On the contrary, it still has a huge customer base, mostly PC users, many of whom are totally clueless.

Apple is taking too long to sieze this audience. It doesn't matter who is the best, only who is the first and who is the loudest. Apple's marketing has always sucked. I want to see more commercials on television, more ads online and in papers, etc. Let me reiterate, MORE COMMERCIALS ON TELEVISION. This is where you get to the heart of the mindless masses. AOL is going to advertise like crazy, and they've got millions upon millions of people in a captured audience. This is where the strength of AIM actually will help: They'll advertise on the AIM client. For a noncomittal service like this, that could actually work.

Apple, on the other hand, may end up sitting on its duds with a brilliant system that no one hears about. OR, it may enter the game too late. Either way, it is in trouble if it does not act fast and act loudly.

Enough PC users should know about iTMS now before they have it that they crave it until they can get it. That's what happened with the iPod and it worked. We need to make this a household name, at least around the somewhat-computer-capable circles. That's what the iPod was. Sadly, the iPod's fame probably came more from 3rd party publicity than Apple's own efforts. Apple needs to take ownership of the marketing process and get iTMS's name out there.

But as far as no alliance with AOL, that's probably not a bad thing. If anyone remembers, AOL got its start under a different name, which I believe had the word "Apple" in it. That's right folks, AOL was Mac only and had the same interest in a user-friendly interface. For a while its interface was more user-friendly than anyone else's (LONG time ago). But that's besides the point. Anyway, this Mac-only ISP decided to explore the Windows market as well, and, indeed, today, it neglects its Mac users. They don't even update their client for Mac anymore, I do believe, and if they do, it has many less features than what they pass out their Windows brethren.

Talk about stabbing people in the back. Without the Mac community's initial support, that company would have died a quiet death over a decade ago. Of course, there's no gratitude or loyalty anymore.

Apple would not want to partner with those who betrayed its platform in the past.

Comment

ffejbean

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
AOL and Amazon still in bed together!!

Ok.. so I haven't seen anyone mention this yet...
Go to http://shop.aol.com ...click on any one of the "shops" Now, Look towards the center-bottom of the page. Whats it say there? Yeah, thats right... technology POWERED BY AMAZON.COM SO... this means that Amazon gets to furnish aol with the sales software and all the other DB workings.. but not have to deal with Physical inventory or warehousing... This means that Time Warner can deal with all expensive stuff and Amazon just keeps raking it in.

Comment

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: AOL and Amazon still in bed together!!

Originally posted by ffejbean
Ok.. so I haven't seen anyone mention this yet...
Go to http://shop.aol.com ...click on any one of the "shops" Now, Look towards the center-bottom of the page. Whats it say there? Yeah, thats right... technology POWERED BY AMAZON.COM SO... this means that Amazon gets to furnish aol with the sales software and all the other DB workings.. but not have to deal with Physical inventory or warehousing... This means that Time Warner can deal with all expensive stuff and Amazon just keeps raking it in.

Calling them AOL Time Warner is important to the discussion, as that is really the impetus for them to provide their own music store, having come to the conclusion that to be special, they have to use their own corporate connections to provide exclusive content... it isn't a good enough business model to be an ubiquitous dial up service, which still makes it of some value for people traveling about. It is actually surprising they were not doing the "AOL in bed with Time Warner" stuff more seriously earlier in the merger.

Of course all of their woes are based on a stock trade between the little guy, AOL, and the monolith, Time Warner, when the little guy was at the top of the bubble cause when you turn the stock market into a 24 hour slot machine in your own bedroom.

AOL used to allow you to shop at their merchant accounts, using your AOL billing info... but they stopped doing that for myriad reasons, or they simply stopped pushing that as a strength, so it became perceived as a weakness.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.