Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daytona63

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
I have a new 800MHz iMac with SuperDrive, 512MB RAM: I've been using AOL Instant Messenger for the past two weeks without too much trouble, but now it locks up immediately after signing in, as my buddy list pops up and my stocks just start to scroll. I don't believe I installed any other software just prior to this problem appearing. I have uninstalled AIM and reinstalled it, but to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem or know what the problem could be? This seriously sucks. Also, is there some other program by which I could IM AIM, Yahoo!, MSN users, etc.? Thanks for the help.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i'm in love with adium right now

it's the omniweb of instant messaging

i'm going to love the day when the adobe and macromedia apps takes advantage of font antialiasing and all the other cocoa goodies

daytona63

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
Thanks!

Thanks, Fire looks to be pretty cool, though I do wish I could transfer files. It even seems to be more customizable the AIM, so that is a definite plus. Thanks again!

Tom

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
YES!

Originally posted by kishba

i'm going to love the day when the adobe and macromedia apps takes advantage of font antialiasing and all the other cocoa goodies

Adium is the apple of instant messaging. nothing else is even in the same category. truly the best application i have ever used.

but ill stop ranting and raving and just give you the link

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by kishba

Sweet! I'd better have a look at it then...

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Gotta like Fire...

Gotta like Fire for it's OS X - native, multi-messaging system goodness.

oddfuzz

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
missouri
AOL Instant Messenger Crashes!!!!

I have exactly the same problem as daytona63. The program opens fine and will even sign me on but a few seconds after log-on, it maxes my CPU and doesnt respond. i am then left to force quit.
the problem started pretty much out of the blue. i had been using AIM earlier that day and then it just happened one time when i loged on. i have also re-installed it which didn't help.
adium works great and everything but i'm on a network so i really want something that has file transfers. so again, if anyone has had this problem or knows what can be done to fix it, that would be great.

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Adium is great. I especially like the fact that you can have all your IM's in one window on different panes. It keeps converations with 10 people at once from cluttering up your work area. The sounds are also fun, they drive my roommates nuts. I hope it get's updated soon though, I can't read people's profiles or transfer files :(, oh well, I don't do it that often anyway.

Anyway, USE ADIUM.

AOL really can go @#$ themselves. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't AOL in version 7.0 for windows and 5.0 still for Mac? You've gotta be kidding me.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
What ever it is has attacked my AIM too. Just as the "AAPL" in the stock ticker appears, Boom, No more AIM. It was so bad once that I had to Restart to recover.

TEG

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I've Downloaded Both Adium and Fire and neither of them had the one feature I require, socks/firewire settings. Is there a program similar to socks cap for OSX or and combo messenger out there with socks support?

Thanx,

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.