AOL PUSH NOTIFICATIONS NOT WORKING ON IPHONE 5. Please help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dstopsie, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Hi I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem. I received my new new iPhone 5 32gig white ATT yesterday. I set up my email accounts and I've been trying to get my push notifications from my AOL account since yesterday. I cannot get my push aol email on my iPhone 5. When I get a new email and the screen is locked I did not get any alert sound

I think this is a problem with iOS 6.0. My iPhone 4S and my new iPad both are running 5.1.1 and they are able to very easily get all my push notifications for my AOL email account. All the settings for mail on my iPhone 5 are exactly as they are on my iPhone 4S and my new iPad. I was on the phone tonight with AppleCare senior adviser who is unable to rectify the situation and figure out why my AOL email cannot be pushed on my iPhone 5 and provide me with an alert sound when the phone is sleeping (meaning the screen is just turned off)

Is anyone else having any problems getting notifications on their iPhone 5 for their email or any other application??

I've tried turning the phone on and off deleting the account several times turning the phone on and off after I deleted the account all to no avail.

Yet on my new iPad and my for 4s this all works fine

Is anybody else having this on their new iPhone 5??

2. JSingr macrumors member

Yep happening to me. Was going nuts. Tried deleting searching and found a thread about might having a corrupted email. None worked. Guess it's an iPhone 5 thing.

3. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

4. Dstopsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree but I have this email account for many many many years and I'm not about to start changing over

It's not just AOL people have had problems with Gmail and Yahoo Mail and exchange so there's been quite a few problems I think the problem is in 6.0 and something wrong with the push notifications

5. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Bit your tongue AOL man. Keep the account and have your mail forwarded to gmail. The world changes, don't be afraid hope on the bus and come with us.

6. al0513 macrumors 6502

AOL. That's probably the reason. They haven't updated to support iOS 6. You've upgraded phones, why not upgrade an email? It's free.

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Some of us have been using AOL for many years. I am not about ready to tell my customers that my email has changed. AOL does not forward so you are limited until this gets fixed.

8. Dstopsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I have used it for many years and its a known address for family friends banking etc

If you take the time to read and understand my post you will see that it's an IOS 6 problem since I have no trouble getting the push notification sound alert for my aol mail on my new iPad and iPhone 4S which are NOT USING IOS 6.

IT'S ONLY SINCE I GOT IPHONE 5 with IOS 6 that this problem started.

I am able to get my aol mail when I open the mail application. What I don't get is the PUSH NOTIFICATION SOUND ALERT WHEN I HAVE A NEW EMAIL AND THE PHONE IS NOT BEING USED.

How is that an aol issue? That's an IOS issue that push notifications sound alerts aren't being sent. Others are experiencing similar issues with other mail programs since upgrading toIOS 6.

9. al0513 macrumors 6502

I believe it is an AOL issue because they haven't updated their system for iOS 6. As you said before, everything works fine on your devices with iOS 5.

Don't know if you see the logic but ... My e-mail sounds work perfectly fine - Yahoo, GMail and two exchange accounts.

I believe AOL needs to update. Course I could be wrong and it could be a single hardware/software issue.

You could try setting up your phone as new (Backup first) and see if it works, then reset the phone up with your backup and see if it still works.

10. Dstopsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I restored, reset did everything for 6 hours wit apple support on 2 different days

Today it started working and I started receiving push notifications with alerts for my aol email. It's not consistent but at least it started working.