AOL Radio and Pandora won't play in the background

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by djrobsd, Jul 11, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

If I click on the home button while using AOL radio or Pandora they stop playing. Is there a way to keep them playing while being able to read my mail and do other things on my iphone?

2. Peabody macrumors regular

Nope - apps can't run in the background...Apple's not allowing it.

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are SO JOKING right? They should at least allow radio apps to run in the back, SHEESH!

4. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Yeah, stinks. Well, at least it still plays when the phone is sleeping. Imagine if it didn't? LOL.

5. levitynyc macrumors 65816

6. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Well sort of, apple is launching a push notification system for apps then. I don't believe apps like a radio will be able to play without running.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes, that's right.

Push is coming in September...not background applications. Push is only useful for notifications like eBay, instant messaging, etc. It's not useful for applications like radio and such.

So no, these will not play in the background.

8. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn! Too bad.. Another short sight on Apple's part just like the lack of MMS and the lack of the ability to do true bluetooth A2DP on the phone.

They always do things so well, but then they forget about the BASIC abilities that other cell phones have... But then again everyone has heard these rantings in many other threads on this site, so I don't need to repeat them here!

Oh well, at least the ipod portion works in the background. LOL

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

They intentionally left background processes out because of it's effect on performance and battery life.

10. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, kind of like how they left 3G out on the first iphone?! What a joke, that's just a sad excuse so they can make us wait until the next phone comes out.

I can see it now.. Iphone 3G version 2:

-5MP camera
    -Front camera to do video
    -MMS messaging
    -User removable battery
    -Background processes!!!

lol

11. badtz macrumors member

can anyone get AOL radio to work through the headphone jack? I tried to plug in a cable for the aux input in the car and it didn't work .....?

12. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really?! What about just the headset apple gives you? Mine works fine through that... sounds great too! I can't believe we are streaming full CD quality audio over a cellular network, who would have thought!

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No it really does have to do with battery life. People already complain that the 3G's battery doesn't last long enough. Imagine your phone only lasting an hour. Yeah, it would really be the iBrick at that point. Battery technology is the slowest advancing technology unfortunately.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It absolutely is because of battery and performance issues.
    The technology is already there, however, Apple's SDK terms expressly prohibit the ability for apps to run in the background.

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

What Apple needs to do is make some kind of deal with people who make iPhone radio apps. Maybe in the application, when you hit the home button it could ask "Would you like to continue using this app in the background? Note: This effects battery life." and would say continue or quit to fully quit.

16. pcorajr macrumors 6502

While i do agree about the baterry life issues i faild to see why apple thinks that they have the right to not allow me to use my phone to its fullest capacity.

that aside i find it funny that a lot of use would really find it usefull to be able to use a radio application to listen to internet radio while we are driving. most of us have car chargers you know. They only cost 15 bucks and they keep you phone charged no matter what app is running at the time.

17. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Charger check

Well, they could always check to see if it's plugged into a charger, and only allow it to run in the background if it's plugged in, but i don't really need it to run in the background when I'm driving, only when I'm sitting at home sipping coffee and want to listen to the radio while reading the news. LOL Yes, I can replace everything in my life with the iphone. LOL

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What if Apple let Apps continue to run in the background. How would performance and batt life be if you had 5 or 10 (many without knowing) running in the background? Can you imagine how busy tech support would be?

19. sharp65 macrumors 6502

The battery is terrible enough, we don't need tons of things running the background to drain it even quicker. I think the push service starting in the fall will be sufficient.

20. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

speaking of aol radio, where did it go? i had to restore my ipod and for some reason, some of my apps dissappeared and now i can't find this app anymore.

21. shaggymac macrumors newbie

This is not true

Here are some apps that run in the background

iPod (play music and use Safari, I dare you!)
    SMS Messaging (get messages anytime)
    Phone (receive calls when you're using any app)
    iTunes music downloads
    Date & Time over network

22. jersey macrumors regular

Those are Apple apps, and they'll do as they wish. But, they have said on several occasions they dont lan to let 3rd party apps run in the background.

23. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

He obviously meant App Store apps. Of course Apple will their own apps to run in the background.

24. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

This is actually one reason why I switched from my blackjack to the iPhone, because the Windows Mobile OS allows background apps, which just drain your battery without knowing they are still running.

25. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i'm no fan boy, but you guys that are complaining about no background services don't really understand the issue here. did you see the keynote where they compared the iphone to windows mobile? they brought up the task manager and there were all kinds of stuff constantly running in the background eating up cpu and battery. a big part of what makes the phone work so well is that none of that crap is allowed to go on.

now, it is a valid point that this is kind sucks for a radio app. perhaps in the future it would be possible to make some kind of exception for these types of apps, but i honestly don't see that happening. but you never know.....