Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Hey, I'm just excited after setting up my new AirPort Express. I already had the AirPort Extreme, but now I can play my music library over the stereo, and it's amazing. It's times like these that I am quite proud to be an Apple user. How do they keep coming up with such great ideas? The whole set-up was incredibly easy. After I installed the Express software, everything just worked. iTunes automatically had my stereo in the drop-down menu and it streamed to it effortlessly. I don't know if anyone cares about this, but I am excited and had to share.

P.S. I was at the Apple store today and saw the 30 inch display. Wow! :cool:
On the other hand, I also saw the new iMac G5, and I must honestly say that I think I prefer the design of my iMac G4. But that's just me.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Does anyone else want to share how they have enjoyed AP Express?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I've seen posts about the letters coming off the iBook's keyboard. Well, I looked at the new iBooks today, and I was wondering if it is the new one that people are having trouble with? Because the new keyboard looks like it would hold up pretty well.

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
I was just going to make a thread about this, but I figured I might look around to see if there were already some :)

Basically I have a brand-spanking new 15" PowerBook, and that's it. I have music on it, and I want to set up some sort of wireless sound system (and internet connection).

I think I'll go for a set of nice computer speakers placed on a bookshelf in the same room as the laptop (small apartment :) ), probably some Klipsch 2.1's.

What do I need to buy?

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
Oh, and in a local computer store, I saw some funky little wireless Apple speakers (you know the roundish, small, clear ones - a pair of those). While they looked purdy, they didn't seem capable of great sound quality...

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I have those Apple speakers on my iMac, and if they had been good enough I wouldn't have wanted the AirPort Express. Ya, I know I could've upgraded the speakers, but this way I have the power of the stereo system for my iTunes. It's great.

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
So... do I need to buy Airport Express only, or some other Apple hardware as well? I'm sort of confused as to whether one standalone Express thingie can do all these:

1) receive music wirelessly from my PowerBook (which has Extreme built in)
2) plug into my cable modem and act as a base hub for my PowerBook internet connection
3) hook up by USB to my printer, allowing me to use that thing wirelessly

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
It will do all of those things, and do them well. You need to buy the stereo connection kit, which is just an RCA and a digital optical cable for hooking up to different types of stereos. It also has the extension power cord, which you may need. I think the kit is thirty-something dollars.

The software necessary to make all this happen comes with the Express and is extremely easy to use.

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
Wait, if I get computer speakers (said Klipsch 2.1's) I don't need the stereo wiring, right :) Hmmmm, that extra entension cord might be useful though. Everything I have has its cords far, far too short.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Are you planning to plug the speakers into the Express or right into your powerbook? Check the apple web site for sure, but I think it says that whatever speakers you use with the Express have to have a separate power source.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I'm not sure what you mean by "through a desktop." If you mean, can you use it with a desktop as well as a laptop, then yes, absolutely, as long as the desktop is wireless capable.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
flat6 said:
Wait, if I get computer speakers (said Klipsch 2.1's) I don't need the stereo wiring, right :) Hmmmm, that extra entension cord might be useful though. Everything I have has its cords far, far too short.

I've got Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's plugged directly into my Airport Express, along with my printer and internet connection and everything works great with my iMac and Powerbook. You've got to love it! :)

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I also love my AirPort Express! What a cool little gizmo. I had an AE base station and sold it to a friend with a REALLY old gen1 AirPort base (graphite). He's getting way more range with my old AirPort Extreme and he can print through the USB port.

As for my Express, I'm just enamored with it. It's small enough to toss in my laptop bag with me. It uses the same extension thing as my existing laptop power brick. AirTunes is super cool and functional enough that I just pulled out my CD changer from my stereo system and used the space for CD/DVD storage instead.

Setup was immediate and easy as well. Just a really really great little device and very easy on the wallet! Love it!

-Drew

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
igucl said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "through a desktop." If you mean, can you use it with a desktop as well as a laptop, then yes, absolutely, as long as the desktop is wireless capable.
Well, what I mean is I have a wireless network, but my desktop is hooked up to the network physically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.