AP: Florida AG asked Trump for donation before nixing fraud case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Drip, drip, drip... Bribe or blackmail? Either way, not a good look for The Donald.

Also, too, "The money came from a Trump family foundation in apparent violation of rules surrounding political activities by charities."

Florida AG asked Trump for donation before nixing fraud case

WASHINGTON (AP) — Florida's attorney general personally solicited a political contribution from Donald Trump around the same time her office deliberated joining an investigation of alleged fraud at Trump University and its affiliates

The new disclosure from Attorney General Pam Bondi's spokesman to The Associated Press on Monday provides additional details around the unusual circumstances of Trump's $25,000 donation to Bondi. After the money came in, Bondi's office nixed suing Trump.

The money came from a Trump family foundation in apparent violation of rules surrounding political activities by charities. A political group backing Bondi's re-election, called And Justice for All, reported receiving the check Sept. 17, 2013 — four days after Bondi publicly announced she was considering joining a New York state probe of Trump University's activities.​

2. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

In before someone tries to deflect to Hillary.

Something something Hitlary, something something lying...something something email...something something BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!!

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass.
    image.jpeg

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Opposite is true. It's been, what? A year now? It all passed.

Guy in the rubber room is a Lefty journalist whose prior effectiveness has been rendered blunted and useless.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I call first dibs on creating the Trump Supporter Padded Room thread on Election Day.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump is having a really, really bad two weeks. Thoroughly enjoying the implosion.

9. caesarp macrumors 6502a

You have to be intelligent and educated to be able to care about stuff like this.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

This could still cause major problems for Trump if it picks up steam but the problem with releasing stories like this far out from the election is that they can fizzle out. A story like this a month or two out from Nov could become a "47%" problem for Trump. Im betting there is more to come.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Keep dreaming, guys. Keep dreaming. Meanwhile, Trump keeps a finger stuck in the eye of Leftist Political Correctness orthodoxy. The public is loving it.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Political correctness, or as the right calls it, my right to be a dick.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Article is all over the place, first they were investigating and dropped a case, next they were considering investigating but chose not to after an election organization received a check for a paltry 25k which wouldn't be enough to move any needles. Also not disclosed is whether Trump had given to this org or candidate before, Trump has made it widely known he donates to everyone to buy influence. Politicians are crooks.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Of course, Goldman Sachs paying Hillary $260,000 for a 20-minute speech is just dandy. Pay-for-play only occurs in one party. The other party is pure as the driven snow. :rolleyes:

15. caesarp macrumors 6502a

So you are equating a private party paying Clinton for a speech on the one hand; with an elected law enforcement official -- a public servant -- (the chief law enforcement official of a state), essentially taking a bribe to drop a case against Trump U? Where the Florida official has a sworn duty to uphold the law?

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The "private party" as you oh-so-innocently describe them is a key part of the Wall Street cabal that nearly took down the U.S. economy after Clinton granted them that power by repealing Glass-Steagall and signing the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 into law. Yea, that's a little more important than the Florida AG.

17. caesarp, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

caesarp macrumors 6502a

Except its legal for a private party (wall street bank or not) to give money to a politician. Isn't that what the repubs wanted in Citizen United -- speech for corporate entities?

It is illegal to buy yourself out of a law enforcement investigation.

Two different circumstances. I would suggest its a little more important to look into State Attorney Generals being bought and paid for -- clearly a crime. Until Citizens United is overturned, we are stuck with corporations giving loads of $$$ to politicians, legally.

And I bet this will result in the Florida AG resigning. The Orlando Sentinel is now all over this, and found nothing to support the claim (in over 8,000 pages) that her office investigated this properly. I like this from the Sentinel article:

Even if you're a hard-core Trump or Bondi supporter, you should care about this case if you also care about justice.

In fact, if you want to try to defend Bondi's actions, try finishing this sentence for me: "I think it is perfectly appropriate for a prosecutor to take big chunks of money from someone she has been asked to investigate because ...."

If you can finish that sentence with a straight face, OK. I can't.

And you know what? I don't think Pam Bondi can either.

I have repeatedly asked her to explain why she thinks her actions were appropriate.

She has yet to provide an answer ... probably because she knows there isn't a legitimate one.​

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

You would know.

19. Limey77 macrumors regular

I think the democrats are now doing an excellent job of handling Trump. They keep feeding him just enough rope to hang himself.

One bad day turned into two, which turned into a week and is now two weeks. This raving narcissist will implode long before Election Day.

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the judge thing seems to be the hanger. a hanging judge who would have thunk it.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Maybe we will get lucky and both parties will implode and we can have an election between the Greens and Libertarians.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Keep dreaming. Nothing's worked for the past year of daily attacks and daily predictions like yours.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump also didn't get over 50% until everyone else dropped out and people had to grudgingly join him.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I never thought I'd see liberals falling over themselves to defend Wall Street, Middle-East wars, off-shoring American jobs, and political corruption in general. But then again, Hillary.

25. Limey77 macrumors regular

Where can I buy those rose tinted glasses of yours?

I note they also seem to obscure the woods from the trees. They must be awesome.