AP sources: Panetta to OK end of military gay ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Jul 21, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Looks like this ridiculous ban will finally be over soon. The announcement/certification will be made tomorrow afternoon and the official lift of the ban will occur 60 days after that. Congrats to all the gay americans who want to serve!

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-panetta-ok-end-military-gay-ban-224823254.html

Looks like some people have their closet-case panties in a knot already. Here is a comment from the comments section on yahoo...

"For those true Christians on here reading this, may we unite in prayer, right now, that the Lord Jesus Christ heavily punish Leon Panetta, Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Reid, and lets not forget Robert Gates (who snuck out the back in early retirement a few weeks ago ) and most of all ADMIRAL MIKE MULLEN who says, words to the effect, "I feel for their own integrity, gays should serve openly in the US military. Thats just my opinion".
    WELL GUESS WHAT ? your opinion goes in DIRECT DEFIANCE of the BIBLE
    All of you be ready to see how well you can DEFY the LORD JESUS CHRIST. May all TRUE AMERICAN CHRISTIANS rise up in prayer, right now, and hold these incredibly EVIL, and SHAMEFUL leaders, admirals and politicians, fully accountable. And may the US Military return back to Dont Ask Dont Tell policy. May the Lord Jesus Christ forgive our country for such evil policies, and may Americans return the BIBLE in ALL PUBLIC and US MILITARY settings. for you gays reading this, its obvious you are snickering in your ego. Upon your death, you will see pain more than you realize, and your enemy wont be American Christians. you'll have other things on your mind in the pits of HELL fire, where worms never die."

Gotta love the smell of dying discrimination...

2. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Religious people tend to scare the **** out of me. Although I'm sure there's a phobia for that.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Theophobia. I learned it on Jeopardy last week ;)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In this case, it's a good phobia to have. I'm sick of their s***. Equal treatment under the law should be supported by all Americans.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

That posts seems about a half dozen logic steps away from "Let's kill all the gay people because God hates them". Scary when you blatantly hate any group of people.

6. leekohler, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's see how this compares. Certain religious types advocate for:

1. Denying gay people equal rights
    2. "Curing" us through reparative therapy and causing severe psychological damage, many times to the point of suicide- see Michele Bachmann's husband
    3. Like you said, killing us outright, like many Muslim countries do.

The list can go on for quite a while. But when someone says that certain religious people scare them, they have no right to feel that way? WTF? How does that compare?

I really don't understand this thinking. If any other group were treated this way by some religious groups, you'd be screaming to the high heavens. Why is it different for us?

7. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

How do you get that I blatantly hate them and want to kill them from that? I respect their right to practice religion, but that doesn't mean I have to respect their religion when:
    1. That religion causes them to treat people who are gay horribly, sometimes to the point of suicide.
    2. I could never run for political office because nobody would vote for an atheist and I am one of the most hated minorities.
    3. That social and scientific progress is slowed down because of them(gay rights, abortion, stem cell research, etc.)
    The list goes on with plenty of reasons why these beliefs can scare me when they are so widespread.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Amazing, isn't it? No one on our side as EVER advocated denying certain religious people their rights. NEVER. I've even fought for the Phelps family's right to protest at funerals. Yet, when we mention that they scare us, and for good reason, all of a sudden we're awful people. Amazing and disappointing, especially from bobber.

9. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I love reading my news on yahoo, but that site is like the trailer park of the internet. Have you guys read those comments?

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What always shocks me is Jesus Christ teaches us better than that.
    He ate which Tax collectors, lepers and so on. He treated the lowest of the low with great respect.
    "Last shall be first and first shall be last"

Really shocks me that they try to push that stuff in the name of God, and Jesus yet if they really bothered to learned and understand the material it does not teach to hate gays. It teaches to treat them with respect.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't think they hate gays because of their misinterpretation of the bible, i think they hate them because they're afraid of things they don't understand and twist the bible to justify it. Maybe I'm wrong.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh I think you are very right there. This people would hate gays no matter what and would find an excuse to justify it. The bible just happens to be really easy. I have pressed them with what I pointed out and boy was it funny to see them try to back pedal and try to find another reason.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

One of the things you weirdly don't notice until you distance yourself from religion is that, whatever they may say, nobody gets his morality from religion, ever. Religious people are moral, or not, individually according to their own judgment just like anybody else. What's different is "God" always agrees with the religious person's moral opinions, and it's offensive to him if you question "God."

I dunno. Which tax collectors DID Jesus eat? ;)

Seriously, you're totally right. I wouldn't be nearly so offended by Christians if their practices bore any resemblance to the supposed teachings of Jesus.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Hey I am Christian and I have gotten in to more than one argument using that very same logic. The trick is you have to let them get to the Jesus Christ part and then turn around and point out the fact that there so called weapon they are using is really a weapon against their entire argument. It is always best to let them do their selves in.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I like how you put tax collectors in with lepers and the lowest of the low!

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That genuinely is from the Bible. The Bible actually comes down way harder on tax collectors than it does on gays.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

One can only hope.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

20. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

America always gets it right eventually. Just another dark page in our history. I'm not excited to have kids one day and have to explain this stuff to them when they come home from history class.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Scare me, too. :eek:

It's not a phobia - it's called ratiocination. ;)

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

These crackheads need to realize that our country is governed by the CONSTITUTION, not the bible. As far as government is concerned, the bible is just another book of fairy tales. And fairy tales have no place in trying to run a government.

At least for the normal people this is one small step in the right direction...

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well you have to go with the times. At the time Tax collectors and lepers were generally considered the lowest of the low and were out caste.
    They were the "unclean" so to speak and Jesus treated them with respect and like OMG HUMANS. Even if you consider gays "unclean" they are still humans and Jesus teaches use to treat others with respect no matter what.
    As such they deserve the same respect you treat everyone else.

You do not have to agree with how they choose to live or what they believe but you should treat them with respect and they deserve the same rights as everyone else.