AP: Superdelegates Jumping to Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Feb 22, 2008.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Associated Press (click to read the rest of the article)

Unless she wins Texas and Ohio by at least 65-35 margins, she is done and needs to drop out of the race. Any more of this is just going to make it easier for the Republicans in November.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Queso macrumors G4

It's looking more and more as if he's got it isn't it :)

4. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

Good to see that they are doing the right thing. They would have divided the party and lost a bunch of voters in November if they decided to steal it from him.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't understand why people need to think she needs to drop out or the Republicans win. Thats about as stupid as Romney saying he was dropping out because he didn't want the terrorists to win (not quite as stupid though).

Yeah, she probably won't win at this point but I don't see her staying in until the convention hurting Obama's race after the primaries.

6. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

She doesn't need to drop out, just drop the nasty attacks. People like her when she's more positive and shows genuine emotion rather than being a negative, petty witch like she sometimes can be. For the good of the party, hopefully they will run cleaner campaigns from here on out after her call for unity last night. I will say that neither of them have run any negative TV ads here in Lubbock, TX. I don't have a land line so I don't know what kind of phone calls they're sending out. I do know people who have called for Obama and they have said that it's a very positive script they follow when they call to talk to people. No attacks on anyone else, just discussing Barack's positions, etc. for around an hour with the people. There are also robo-calls from both campaigns, and these automated calls are the types that can get nasty during political campaigns. And then there are mailers that are sent out that can also be nasty. She can stay in the race as long as she wants but don't divide the party and give the Republicans a bunch of crap to throw at Obama if he does get the nomination.

7. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Well, if it goes to the superdelegates at the convention, their decision (even if they go with the popular vote) could leave some dem's unhappy. This could affect the way they (the public) vote I guess? :confused:

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think it does hurt the Democrats to not have a nominee until August. There is an awful lot of ground-game stuff to be settled, and if we go for an extended period of time (primaries and caucuses wrap up by May IIRC) between the nominating contests and the convention without a decision about the nominee, that leaves the staffers and organizations in limbo for months. Fund raising is put on hold until the decision is made.

And with nothing better to do, campaign operatives will be tempted to take the discourse lower and lower in an attempt to gain some kind of advantage.

All the while McCain organizes and raises money.

That's why I thought it was a mistake for the Democrats to hold their convention so late. They thought they were helping themselves by keeping their nominee spending general election funds in a compressed time frame, but it backfired on them.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah, the continuing inspiration from leekholer... ;)

I was really hopeful, but admittedly unsure about the Obama campaign when he announced a year ago. Now, every time I hear something like this, I get giddy inside like a little girl. :)

I think now that powerful dems such as Nancy Pelosi are speaking out about the role of superdelegates its only natural that the shift will start happening faster.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

She needs to drop out for the sake of the party. Obama needs to be able to focus his campaign on going after McCain, not Hillary. She needs to come to the realization that if she drags this out to the convention, we'll only have a couple months to campaign compared to over half a year for McCain. She knows she's not going to win, she should put her efforts behind making sure that a Democrat wins in November, not that she wins in November.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh come on. At least give her through the March primaries in Ohio and Texas. You'd want the same for Obama, were the situations reversed. But if she loses either of those early March contests, she needs to make a decision about whether to scorch the earth, or go gracefully.

My guess is that if she goes in a reasonably graceful manner, she could become one of the most powerful Senators in the next Senate with her national profile and political sway, not to mention her fundraising ability.

12. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

Is this graceful?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4330128&page=1

You can't get much nastier and more selfish than the people in her campaign. Wolfson, Singer, Penn, etc. are all grade A douche bags. If she can't win against him, they'd rather see the Republicans win, even as she is claiming she wants party unity in Austin last night.