APERTURE 3.3 - Bugs, Crashes, Freezes, Force quite, and rebuilds...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jadot, Jun 25, 2012.

1. jadot, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Every time I open Aperture since the update I've had problems.

Vaults not completing updating.
    Application not even opening.
    Thumbnails not displaying.
    Imports hanging.
    Databases needing repairing. Every time Aperture opens.

Aperture now hangs on really simple tasks, and the more I have to update and repair the library database, the more worried I get about the safety of my files, especially as since the update none of my vaults have managed to complete without crashing.

I can't work like this - I'm now importing into Capture One Pro, so I can get on with my work. This is the first time that I have had to move from an Apple product because I'm questioning the reliability.
    It can't be just me?

INfo : This is on a 27 iMac i7 3.4, with 24 GB RAM. I don't think it's my set up.

2. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Those may be signs of a dying hard drive: if you open Disk Utility and select the internal drive (I'm assuming this is where your library and your photos are located), what does the SMART status read? Also, what happens if you verify the integrity of the volume's file system?

Just for the record: Personally, I've had no problems whatsoever with Aperture 3.3.

3. jadot thread starter macrumors 6502

jadot

No, I'm using a Firewire 800 drive for my main library. I've always worked this way, and no problems at all before the update.

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

FWIW - I have not a problem w/ 3.3. I am running it on an iMac w/Lion with the Aperture library that I am working on the HDD and archive on an external.

5. Eolian macrumors regular

I bit the bullet last week, upgraded my 2008 MacBook w/4GB to Lion, and upgraded Aperture to 3.3. I keep my library on the internal HD.

Very pleased. System and Aperture have both run flawlessly so far through many, many hours of productive work.

Almost makes me forget paying the $14.99 to keep Quicken alive :p

6. jadot thread starter macrumors 6502

jadot

As nice as it is to hear about your successful purchases, you haven't really helped, or given any useful suggestions.
    I'm glad your strategies are working out for you. That's great news.

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I thought that it would helpful to hear from folks who are running 3.3 without problems as well. If your problem is not repeated by others you may want to re-examine the part of your system that you assume is working properly. We were just trying to help.

8. Eolian macrumors regular

As Dornblaser says, the fact that the situation is not replicated in other setups should indeed be useful information to you.

Particularly where your lead question is "It can't be just me?"

9. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The problem is that you cannot check the SMART status of hard drives which are connected via FireWire or USB. Nevertheless, the situation indicates that your problems may be due to problems in storage (either hardware or the filesystem). If I were you, I'd have Disk Utility check the integrity of the filesystem of the external disk. HFS+ is not a very good filesystem and updating the Aperture library involves a lot of writes. This may be enough to trigger a corruption of the filesystem.

One more thing: storing your library on an external FireWire (or USB) drive makes Aperture more sluggish since FireWire limits the maximum transfer rates.

10. netslacker macrumors 6502

I tend to agree with those that have suggested a bad drive/filesystem. At very least I'd copy the library to your local drive and try again there, if it succeeds without issues then backup the rest off the external drive.

11. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Never had a problem with aperture before, I've been using it fine for years daily. I have it running on the iMac in my sig and the simple process of tanning from one image to the other now freezes it.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Agreed. Sounds like a bad drive. Timing with your upgrade to 3.3 is probably just a coincidence. Hopefully you have a backup.

BTW, I don't know if it's bad luck or something to do with Firewire or the FW enclosure I have, but I've had more drive failures in my FW enclosure (in the 2 years I've had it) than I've ever had in 20 years of home computing.

13. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

When you imported into Capture One, are you still using the FW component? Agree with everyone else though - very likely a drive issue.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmm

Running a similar set up-

MBP 2.2ghz 16GB RAM
    Libraries on either my internal HDD or external FW800. Aperture 3.3 is much smoother than the previous for me.

Try creating a new user account in OS x and replicating problem.
    Also try moving your libraries to another disk.

15. TyroneShoes2, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

Funny thing--these are all the problems I had with 3.2x, but seem to have all gone away with 3.3. Up until lately, Aperture has always seemed buggy to me.

While it is true that newer versions are tuned for the latest OS (making older computers less tuned for the newer versions) that does not seem to be your problem because i7 iMacs are no more than a year old or so.

I have doubts about the HDD theories, but that sounds like something you should at least rule out at this point. After that I would just take out about 20 of that 24 GB of RAM, test, then replace with another 4 from the RAM you took out, and test again. Not that you have too much RAM (NOBODY ever has too much RAM), but you might have a bad stick, and possibly this can narrow that down as a cause.

Fun cracking the case on that iMac, isn't it? :)

16. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'll be updating mine in a few hours so we shall see but everything thus far has been just fine…