Aperture 3 export(s) to FB max out at 604 pix, how to get 720pixels via Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mtbdudex, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Using Aperture 3, latest updates, when I upload to FaceBook pictures upload at just 604 pix wide/high.
    Other people uploading to FaceBook picts are 720pix wide/high via many different methods they use.

When I export from Aperture to desktop and then use Facebook itself to import it does import as 720pix wide.

What settings do I need to change in Aperture? Or, a bug in Aperture 3?

Direct import from Aperture to FaceBook, picture limited to 604 pix as max dimension http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...24679209_100000089764867_446854_5644533_n.jpg
    The smaller picture AND those grey bars annoy me.
    [​IMG]

Just exported to desktop, then use Facebook to import, slow and manual process. Picture has 720 pix as max dimension, http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...78012527_100000089764867_446855_2526029_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

Not world peace, but when sharing with family/friends I'd like to have pictures displayed in best possible way.

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

The best possible way to share pictures with family and friends is going to be something like Smugmug, Facebook compresses and kills colors, and if you're just worried about sharing the fun stuff and not really caring about quality, I don't think 54px on each side really matters all that much.

That said, I don't think there is a way or a setting for Facebook, so you'll just have to hope that Apple releases a different picture size in a future update, or just not use the Aperture uploader. I think the absolute ease of use greatly outweighs the lost pixels.

3. Clark Kent macrumors member

I'm not sure how to solve your problem because I always upload manually to Facebook.

For anyone that uploads pictures to Facebook manually...

DO NOT LET FACEBOOK RESIZE YOUR PICTURES! If you export a full size JPEG from Aperture (or iPhoto or any other program) and then upload it to Facebook rather than limiting the max size to 720 pixels on export, the compression will look awful. Edge detail is totally destroyed by Facebook's resizing and the compression artifacts are terrible.

Upload a full size JPEG and then the same picture downsized by your editing program to a max size of 720 pixels and check out the difference.

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Facebook resizing

I'm not 100% sure that's correct.

Take a look at my test album at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=201544&id=653162656&l=86700afe7c and see what you think.

I actually get a larger resulting image file size in facebook going Aperture > Export full size quality 11 > Facebook compared to going Aperture > Export 720x720 quality 11 > facebook.
    Code:
    Original      Aperture 720x720      Facebook 720x720
    6.8MB         188KB                 102KB
    6.8MB         (skipped)             119KB

4.6MB         106KB                  53KB
    4.6MB         (skipped)              66KB

6.9MB         164KB                  86KB
    6.9MB         (skipped)             109KB
    The visual artefacts are IMHO just different, not necessarily worse or better.

I've actually - for no good thought-out reason - been exporting from Aperture at 1440x1440 for the last few months. Those files turn out at 123KB, 66KB and 102KB respectively.

What do you think of the differences between the images in the album in the link I've posted? I'd really appreciate hearing what you think is the nicest compression.

Attached: Aperture's output at 720x720.

Attached Files:

5. Clark Kent macrumors member

Wow!

Your experience is definitely different than mine. When I last let Facebook compress my pictures (about 2 months ago), they looked awful. Edges (especially on people) were horrible and a few macro shots looked liked I had sharpened them about 20 times too much. After I resized them to 720 they looked liked they should.

It's possible Facebook has changed their photo compression since then. I'll have to give it a try and report back.

Thanks for taking the time to put them up.

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

thats my biggest problem with facebook, they change things WAY too often. Which means try don't plan enough and test enough.

7. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx for feedback everyone, guess it's up to Apple to "fix" their facebook up loader script to take advantage of 720pix size.

Nothing can be done on user side except manual export then manual uploading, a pia when all you want to do is share with family/friends.

I like the ability to easily add/delete pictures via the FB sync (drop into the FB album), heck even if I redo some PP it will upload that changed pict and keep all FB comments, kinda handy.

For the few shots I really want to "show-off", besides FB album I also upload those @ 1600pix to Picasa and include a link in FB photo caption.
    (mostly some of my astrophotography, that does not come across with small image.)

I don't use FB photos to host my web photos for linking elsewhere, so any real "issues" it has with compression/artifacts I can live with.

8. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Regarding your original question, Aperture at the moment doesn't let the user change the export presets for Facebook or Flickr integration. If you send off a quick feedback request like I did we can only hope they add it in the next update. Till then though, export from Aperture and upload via another method.

9. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Facebook's Rolling Out High-Resolution Photo Sharing

wow, now FB will host much higher quality photos, up to 2048 pix in size.
    http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=432670242130

http://lifehacker.com/5652628/facebooks-rolling-out-high-resolution-photo-sharing

Here is interesting comment