APFS - a work in progress...

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by b416, Jun 8, 2017.

1. b416 macrumors newbie

Started to play around with my rMBP 2012 & High Sierra...

First try : I had a working Sierra setup with FileValut activated, did the upgrade (check APFS upgrade) and got stuck in a reboot/crash loop until I rebooted in safe mode and uninstalled the Sophos antivirus.
    After that, everything worked (well I didn't test every single app, but didn't notice any problem).

Since it was a loaded setup (didn't reinstall for years, just upgraded every time), I wanted to see how it works from a fresh install... and there it begins :

- you can't install on an encrypted APFS partition : after reboot just a black screen with the mouse pointer shows up
    - you can't convert an installed APFS partition to encrypted : activate FileVault stays grayed out in system preferences

Basically, the only way to have APFS encrypted so far is to install 10.12, activate FileVault and then upgrade.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well it is the first developer preview, so I think much of the OS is still a work in progress.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I always get a kick out of "the sky is falling" comments on beta software in general, but particularly when it's clearly not a developer using the developer betas. LOL.

4. b416 thread starter macrumors newbie

Who said the sky is falling? Just sharing my experience, not complaining...
    I am fully aware that it's a first developer beta, and I deal with it. I have backups, and with a few workarounds, I managed to make it work like I wanted.

5. stefanwa macrumors newbie

Did anyone successfully resize an APFS partition? I now have an empty hfs+ partition and the APFS system partition on one drive and it doesn't let me delete the hfs+ one and resize the APFS to fill the whole drive...

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I wasn't talking to you OR about you.

7. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I made a 20 GB partition to install the beta, but I like the beta so much I want to resize the partition so it can be more useful to me. So far it doesn't seem to be possible. I might need to delete it and create a new larger partition. :( Might be worth it before I do too much with that partition.

8. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Then why did you quote him/her if you weren't addressing him/her specifically?

9. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It generally takes years for a new filesystem to stabilize so that the bugs are shaken out and the performance issues are fully resolved. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple backtracks to using HFS+ on High Sierra for default installs. Maybe it'll be stable enough for mass adoption around 2020.

10. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Keep in mind that Apple developers have said that APFS has been designed to be forwards and backwards compatible without having to make major structural changes since it has been built in from day one. I'm sure that what ever features are missing in APFS that people want will eventually come to APFS now that it is a lot easier to add new filesystem features.

11. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Lol they didn’t. Read it again.

12. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Apple backtrack.
    That's a good one.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

They did reintroduce slotted memory on the 21.5" iMac. Maybe Apple is taking a leaf from Microsoft's book?

14. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I'm fairly certain Apple knows what they're doing with the rollout. They're no chance they backtrack. Just because Filevault isn't enabled on the very first dev beta means nothing. Filevault is a consumer facing feature, not a dev feature.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---
    Not sure what Ram slots in a sealed enclosure has to do with Microsoft. It's probably just cheaper to use RAM slots instead of soldering it.

15. chrfr macrumors 603

The 21.5" iMac has had memory slots for years, and just as with the 2017 version, it's always been necessary to take the display off to get to them. There's been no change there. This is the 2013 version: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2638+Teardown/17829