Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hi,
I've just upgraded my 2012 13" MBPro9,2 with an SSD and Mojave installed on an APFS partition. Also removed the optical drive and in it's place for data storage fitted a 500Gb SSD in a suitable caddy.
I was just about to format the data storage SSD with HFS+, and then had a thought. Is there any benefit to be had in formatting this same drive as APFS?
Had a search through this and other forums and cannot see a discussion on the pros/cons of formatting a second SSD for data storage as APFS or HFS+.
Also as its a non-Apple SSD volume, if APFS is advised, any benefits of enabling trim via terminal with the trimforce command sudo trimforce enable?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
APFS does not yet support Time Machine, so if you plan to use the second drive for TM, you will need HFS+. Other than that, I would go with APFS since it is less prone to data corruption and file copies are much faster.

There is really no reason not to enable TRIM as you described.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
WeaselBoy, many thanks for this. Just the sort of confirmation I required. I don't require Time Machine support, so have now formated the 2nd internal (data SSD) with APFS. Looks good.

Another question if I may to anyone familiar with enabling trim on 2 internal SSD's.
In terminal, I guess just entering the sudo trimforce enable command will address the principal SSD on which I have the OS (in my case it's disk2s1). You can probably guess my next question.......
What would be the specific command to input to terminal in order to enable trim on my 2nd/internal data SSD (disk3s1)?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just enter sudo trimforce enable and it should enable TRIM on the second drive. The main drive should already have it enabled if it is an Apple OEM flash drive.

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Just enter sudo trimforce enable and it should enable TRIM on the second drive. The main drive should already have it enabled if it is an Apple OEM flash drive.

Thanks for rapid reply!
The main 240Gb SSD is a Transcend i.e. non-Apple, which I installed myself, then Mojave, then enabled TRIM ok with sudo trimforce enable command. No problem.
If I try this again with same command from terminal, are you saying it will automatically assume I wish to target the 2nd SSD? I've not tried this and being somewhat 'terminal-shy', don't want to screw anything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.