APFS Time Capsule

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by ganja24, Jun 6, 2017.

1. ganja24 macrumors 6502

Will Apple Time Capsule get firmware update HFS to APFS?

2. macbethfan macrumors member

I literally came here to ask this and the first thing that popped up when I typed in "Time Capsule" was your post! Well, that makes two of us that are wondering this now.

3. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I highly doubt it.

It would break compatibility with older versions of the OS. Also, APFS is optimized for SSDs, while Time Capsules use HDDs. I don't even think High Sierra has APFS enabled by default for machines with an HDD.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Apple has not said anything about its future plans on system backups. For the time being, Time Machine backups have to stay on HFS+ volumes due to technical reasons. You can still perform backups from an APFS-based Mac though.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

My Time Capsule is backing up an APFS formatted Mac without a problem, and it continued to use the existing backup from before I installed the 10.13 beta. There doesn't appear to be any need for a firmware update.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Not necessarily.

APFS might be used to store the (traditional) image of the HFS Plus file system.

7. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Anyone hear anything on this by chance? I haven't and was curious...... I had an issue with 10.13.3 that 10.10.4 fixed and backups are working again but wondering if they will update the file system on the backups.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

There's not really a need to do so. Time Machine would need to be completely redesigned to back up to an APFS volume so maybe Apple is working on that for an upcoming major version upgrade, but I wouldn't expect it in 10.13.x.

9. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

I was thinking more along the lines of an Airport Software Update, but in conjunction with the move to APFS in general. My experience with 10.13.3 was just that it wasn't working correctly no matter how much I tried to even trick it into doing so. 10.13.4 resolved whatever the bug was.

10. niji, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

niji macrumors 6502a

niji

not related to your question, but after the update to macOS High Sierra today (macOS 10.13.4) my apple Time Capsule reported that no backup had been done for over 50 days. i knew automatic backups were working well until just before the update. so i just decided to delete the old backup and start anew.
    i think that apple did some fine tuning this time to APFS as file transfers and duplicating large file libraries after today's update are taking much less time than before.
    like you, i hope that Time Capsule will be able to indexed with APFS but as other posters have replied, its unlikely.

11. Brownie77 macrumors newbie

Why would this break any compatibility?

12. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Previous versions of macOS can't read APFS drives.

Devices formatted as APFS can be read from and written to by:

• Other devices formatted as APFS
    • Devices formatted as Mac OS Extended, if using macOS High Sierra
    For example, a USB storage device formatted as APFS can be read by a Mac using High Sierra, but not by a Mac using Sierra or earlier.

13. Brownie77 macrumors newbie

But this thread is talking about a Time Capsule device, which regardless of the FS type would present it over the network as APFS or similar so the client wouldn't know the difference.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

The filesystem on a network shared volume, like a Time Capsule, is invisible to the client computer, and a Time Capsule shares an HFS+ formatted disk image to clients as a backup destination, so there's not a compatibility issue on that end. Given all that, there's absolutely no advantage to having a Time Capsule support APFS.
    Also, Time Machine cannot work in its current incarnation on an APFS volume so not even the disk image can be converted to APFS.