APNews: 4,000 more US troops to go to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

APNewsBreak: About 4,000 more US troops to go to Afghanistan

I'm glad Trump is fulfilling his campaign promise of Afghanistan First. :D

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. darksithpro macrumors regular

And if we leave it would probably cause a terrorist vacuum. We can't have ripe breeding grounds in war torn nations for terrorists, where new frail government leadership cannot stop it. You have to look at it as a proactive step to stop terrorism. History proves that when we pulled out of other areas in the past evil took it's place.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ant stop terrorism by creating more terrorist. Let's GTFO of the M-E. all of it

5. darksithpro macrumors regular

We can't, that ship has already sailed, so we can't let them run their training camps with impunity. We have to stay and quell any terrorist uprising. It's like whack-a-mole. We're in it for the long run bro.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Vietnam did fine when we pulled out and turned into a stable country. We have no direction in Afghanistan, and while I think most people know we are losing I don't think anyone at the top has a clear picture of what winning would look like in Afghanistan.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Sad but true

8. darksithpro macrumors regular

Keep in mind Vietnam vs Iraq/Afghanistan are completely two different animals. When it comes to radical religious beliefs logic doesn't prevail.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    Thanks, and I apologize for calling you names on a "previous" unrelated thread. Please accept my sincere apology. I am sorry.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

No worries, I never take anything personal. Working on the trading floors made me immune from taking views and conflict personal. :cool:

10. darksithpro macrumors regular

Goldman?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes your favorite president (I am happy he won) has chosen to do it

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

One question in mind no one has ever been able to answer. Ready for the question?

In a country with over 300 million people, why the frick could we only choose between Hillary and Trump?

13. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I remember when American troops where sent to another small country to fight a guerilla. That did not end well,as the primitive guerillas sent the yanks home in coffins. United States was fighting that French colonial war for 10 years or so,against the communists. Outcome: thousands of very dead or missing Americans,ten thousands of killed civilians,and Vietnam still has a communist government. Obviously it will end up the same way in Afghanistan. How many soldiers returning home in plastic bags will it take before the present American administration realise that it's another useless war?

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Dude that's the million dollar question.

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

Haha. Finally we agree!

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

More or less the same thing was said about Communism. And if it is their religious beliefs that well over 90% of the country hold that will make things fall apart when we leave how would we even define victory? Should we stay there until our military spending kills the economy and we have to pull out? If that is the case why not save the money and do it now.

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

So, what do you suggest we do? Pull out entirely? I read about the criticisms of the Trump admin, yet I see no concrete solutions to the problem. This whole mess is a direct result of 9/11 during the Bush administration. It also can be contributed to the Soviet Afghanistan invasion, where CIA meddled in affairs to counter the Soviets that created these terrorists.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So when Obama sent troops there it was evil. Drumpf does it and its patriotic.

19. Zenithal macrumors 601

They're all idiots. Let the Afghans sort it out themselves. Hard to control people who are naturally inclined to lead nomadic lives.

20. darksithpro macrumors regular

Haven't you been listening? If we pull out of Afghanistan now it will be ripe for terrorist recruitment and it's camps. This is how ISIS spread like cancer after we pulled out of Iraq. We made our own bed in the vacuum. Now we have to deal with the consequences.

21. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

22. Zenithal macrumors 601

AQ has waged a war against ISIS. Let them deal with it.

OTOH, the renewed effort will keep certain MOSs active that would have been dropped in faux peace time.

23. darksithpro macrumors regular

No, no, no. You don't get it. The US unknowingly created a monster with the Mujahideen in fighting the Soviets during the Afghan Soviet war. Because of our meddling, now we have radical terrorists hell bent on killing us. If we do not stay in certain hot spots in the ME like Afghanistan and Iraq we are going to suffer tremendously at home.

24. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's entirely possible that Russia and/or China would intervene to prevent that. Both have been in talks with the Taliban and Pakistan, both want the US to leave, and both have financial and political interests in the region.

More info here http://www.dw.com/en/china-and-russia-want-us-out-of-afghanistan/a-39250894

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You had no problems when your was doing stupid stuff