Apologies for intruding the X party but did apple finally fix the paint chipping the 7?

DevinNj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I've had my matte black 7+ since December with no issue. It's taken out of the case at least once a month to clean/swap cases and there's no chipping.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
Mine has a couple tiny chips on corners from being dropped. Not something that I’d consider unusual or defective, and it’s barely noticeable. I feel like it’s the most durable smartphone I’ve had yet. No case and no screen protector, and it’s still in amazing condition, even after dropping it multiple times at concerts and such.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I’m honestly not sure if you’re going to be able to get a satisfactory answer to that question. Apple never acknowledged there was an issue with chipping on the matte black model so there’s no way to know when or even if they ever changed anything to fix it. Couple that with everyone’s usage patterns being different and you’re probably going to get a whole range of responses here.

Tossing in my two cents: my launch week 7 chipped on the bottom from being put in an out of the cup holder in my car. But, any anodized aluminum is going to chip from abrasions. The black just showed it more. I’d guess the space gray 6 and 6S also had chipping in small areas but it wasn’t as noticeable because that finish was much closer to the natural silver of the aluminum.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I’m honestly not sure if you’re going to be able to get a satisfactory answer to that question. Apple never acknowledged there was an issue with chipping on the matte black model so there’s no way to know when or even if they ever changed anything to fix it. Couple that with everyone’s usage patterns being different and you’re probably going to get a whole range of responses here.

Tossing in my two cents: my launch week 7 chipped on the bottom from being put in an out of the cup holder in my car. But, any anodized aluminum is going to chip from abrasions. The black just showed it more. I’d guess the space gray 6 and 6S also had chipping in small areas but it wasn’t as noticeable because that finish was much closer to the natural silver of the aluminum.
Was the chipping more common on the 7 than 7 Plus?

My LG V20 in titan (which looks matte black) once got pulled from my bed to the tile floor because I forgot to disconnect it to my MBA. Zero blemishes. Not even a chip or ding. I was surprised. Tested for military-graded drops. But my Sprint G5 dropped inside a holster case from only 3 feet and got a ding on top. Probably from an odd angle. G5 feels cheaper and hollow. Really careful with my newer one with no dings yet.

I'm still worried of anything matte black though because it shows a different color underneath. Silver is just better at most things especially with scratches and fingerprints. Just curious if this happened mostly to 7? Thinking of getting one because I plan on getting iPhones in different sizes. The 7 or 8 Plus wouldn't rank higher than SE and X for me though among favs.

3.5 - iPhone, iPhone 4s (black)
4.0 - iPhone SE (space gray)
4.7 - iPhone 7 (matte black)
5.8 - iPhone X (silver)
5.5 - iPhone 8 Plus (silver)