Apologies For the Redundancy But Have the beach balls gone away yet

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slide023, Dec 3, 2013.

1. slide023, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013

slide023 macrumors member

slide023

As the title says.....Have the beach balls gone away yet? I also have another question. As Apple squashes bugs, do they bake them into the Dev preview of 10.9.1, when can we expect 10.9.2?

Thanks,
    Slide

2. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

I posted a question on this earlier, and someone mentioned that he still had beachballs in 10.9.1 beta 2, but they were shorter and less frequent. The preview delay apparently still existed.

I'm (very impatiently) waiting to install mavericks, since I bought a new SSD here.

Anyone know how many beta releases are typical before a release?

Oct 22 - 10.9.0 release date
    Nov 15 - 10.9.1 beta 1
    Nov 22 - 10.9.1 beta 2

I figure it has to be pretty soon... previous .1 releases came anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the .0 release, and we're now at around 5.5 weeks.

Goes to show how buggy Mavs is compared to previous releases.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I haven't noticed any beachballing worth mentioning since moving to Mavericks.

4. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

What about Finder delays/lag in general? There seem to be plenty of known issues with App Nap and waiting for drives to spin up.

(For some reason it sounds like people have the most problems when accessing finder from a 3rd party, like trying to attach a file in email).

5. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

I'm running Mavericks (13A603) on an unsupported machine (a Mac Pro 1,1) and I haven't noticed the purported problems mentioned above. I don't mean I haven't suffered much from them, but not at all. I don't suppose that when 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 are released they will significantly improve my experience of these nonexistent problems.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Finder for the most part it is fine. Sometimes, a file moved/copied to the desktop may take an extra second before appearing/updating, but it's not a huge problem for me.

Another Finder issue I've noticed is when I use the old Exposé "show desktop" with a hot corner, it sometimes it stops working.

7. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

It seems less ******. My Mac sleeps around 15 secs after pressing the button, instead of a min or 45 secs. Beach balls are maybe 10 percent better. It still feels sluggish in finder. System preferences seems maybe a bit better loading on the initial click and when clicking on icons.

8. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I'm still getting beach balls under normal use on some of my macs.

What seems to happen is thatmy Mac Pro is fine because it is always on.
    My Mac Laptops (15" 2010 cMBP and 13" 2012 cMBP) are fine until you close the lid for a while and then re-open.
    Afterwards I have all my ram filled up (16gb on the 13" MBP) and everything becomes very sluggish.
    I've gotten in the habit of always having activity monitor and terminal open. If I end up at max ram utilization and stuff is beachballing I run "sudo purge".
    I shouldnt have to manage memory by hand.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

I haven't noticed any beach balls or Finder lag. (2013 MBA)

10. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I also didn't experience any of beachball. Upgrade from 10.8.5. MBA 2012.

11. stevemiller macrumors 65816

immediately after upgrading, i now have daily issue with the entire system freezing. no beach balls, the UI becomes totally frozen and unresponsive, such that the first few times, i bit the bullet after a few minutes and did a hard reset. but as it happens, i've discovered that it will resume, and execute all of my inputs in a sudden flurry, sometimes after up to 5 minutes!

this is not a once off occurrence either. it happens DAILY, sometimes multiple times. i've now gotten in the habit of restarting every day since the frequency of freezes seems to increase the longer the system is on. i thought those days were long behind me.

i've verified the disk, repaired permissions, done SMC reset, all to no avail. i'd gone to the extra effort of making sure i did a fresh install of mavericks rather than an upgrade, too, and i did not restore from any backups.

i like what they were trying to do with mavericks, i really do. and i'm willing to accept a few quirks on initial release, but this has been really disappointing. its been over a month since release, and it is suffering from severe instability.

12. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

8 simple steps to fix the "beach ball" in Finder:

1. Open Terminal

2. Type: sudo nano /etc/auto_master
    (using nano instead of vi makes it a little more user friendly)

3. arrow down to the command:
    /net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
    and add a # to the front so it reads:

#/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid

4. press control + X to exit

5. Press Y to save

6. press Enter

7. Close Terminal

8. Reboot

Cheers! ;)

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

In case anyone is wondering, that looks like it has something to do with browsing network shares. If network shares are not the cause of your beachballing, it will do nothing for you.

14. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I don't get any beach balls on my Mini (i7, 16GB & SSD) or 2009 Mac Pro under Mavericks 10.9. Both are very peppy and smooth. However my 2008 iMac with only 2GB RAM does get them frequently for a second or so. Figured the CoreDuo and tiny RAM were the reason. It was fine under Lion.

15. twintin macrumors 6502

Haven't seen any beach balls on my MBA 2012 either since upgrade to MV. Neither have I noticed any Finder lag, but then I don't use it that much.