App for Grocery Bill/OCR (does it exist?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 100LL, Dec 31, 2011.

1. 100LL macrumors newbie

I believe a long time ago (pre iPhone and smart phones) I have seen an article or a story on people working on some OCR/scanning software for grocery bills. I just can't find anything on Google about it.

The idea was that the software can be customized to recognize different formats of grocery bills. Basically it would only need one person to create a template for say a Walmart bill, and tell the software where the header starts, where the date is, the total price paid, the list of items, etc. All other users of this software could then use the template all around the country to scan their Walmart bills. The software would tell them what they bought, when, how much they paid, export to accounting software, compare items with other stores and other users, etc... makes budgeting and accounting a lot easier. If there are many users it could in a best case scenario even tell you if you'd have shopped at chain X instead of chain Y, you could have saved a couple of dollars.

Does something like this exist nowadays in the iPhone era? If not, that would probably be a good idea with so many people out there with iPhones and cameras (instead of scanners) in their pocket. I've just spend a few hours typing grocery bills into PocketMoney on my iPhone, so the memory about that scanning software came back.

2. sh0ebox macrumors member

Lemon (www.lemon.com) has an iOS app that allows you to take photos of your receipts and it "scans" them into their app which uses OCR to detect the store, items, total, tax, discounts, etc. of what was purchased and can also detect the date and time of purchase. This information can then be exported to create spending reports as well.

Not capable of automatically comparing "chain x" with "chain y" to tell you if you could have gotten a better deal, though.

You can also edit your receipts to add/remove/edit entries and add notes for more information if you need it, and tag receipts to organize them (e.g., debit card, credit card, cash, check, shopping, food, gas, groceries, etc.) which will allow you to see where your money goes.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I need a volunteer to remind me of this app, tomorrow when I'm sober!

4. 100LL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I have downloaded Lemon and I registered a free account. I am not impressed though, I have 'scanned' a couple of receipts 12h ago and they still show up as 'processing'. Same for a couple of email receipts I forwarded to the newly created @lemon.com email account.

Maybe all their processing monkeys are on Christmas leave?