App Request - Developers Please Read

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spamdumpster, Sep 17, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

From some quick searches, there are about 35 bible apps, 3 koran apps, 5 other islam apps, 10 jewish apps, 2 buddhist apps,

We need an Atheism app. It should be called Atheism. I don't care how much it costs. I'm not sure what its function would be. Maybe some atheist quotes and facts of the day, flying spaghetti monster pictures, links to good atheist podcasts and websites, quotes from the Constitution, etc.

I'm not a developer, but I can help develop the content for the app. Maybe people can post other ideas for the app in this thread.

***Also, this is not the community forum, so please don't flame me, try to convert me to your brand of voodoo magic, or tell me I'm going to hell, etc. (Although some responses to the thread title are probably warranted).

[Moderator note: Thread was previously titled "App Request - Only Sane, Rational People Need Read"]

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

You should have saved the mods the effort and created this thread in PRSI from the start...

3. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

But isn't that what you're trying to do by implying that only atheists are "sane, rational people" and bringing up the tired "flying spaghetti monsters"? Who is really the one being judgmental now?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yeah, as a fellow atheist, even *I* was a bit offended by the wording of the OP's post. All you had to do was ask for an atheist app -- not infer that all non-atheists are crazy.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It was a tough choice between here and the wasteland. Moved in here for now...

7. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

App Request - Developers Please Read

My poor choice of a thread title got my other thread moved, so I'm going to try again, respectfully:

From some quick searches, there are about 35 bible apps, 3 koran apps, 5 other islam apps, 10 jewish apps, 2 buddhist apps,

We need an Atheism app. It should be called Atheism. I don't care how much it costs. I'm not sure what its function would be. Maybe some atheist quotes and facts of the day, flying spaghetti monster pictures, links to good atheist podcasts and websites, quotes from the Constitution, etc.

I'm not a developer, but I can help develop the content for the app. Maybe people can post other ideas for the app in this thread.

8. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I apologize for being disrespectful of others' views. I'll start a new thread in the app store forum with my original request, but without the inflammatory remarks.

For the record, I don't actually believe that all non-atheists are crazy. However, I do place most core beliefs of most religions in the same category as the tooth fairy, santa clause, easter bunny, etc.

Legitimate Question: how would you (atheists and non-atheists) react to an adult who believed in the tooth fairy or santa clause.

9. yalag macrumors 65816

Sure, i'm an atheist I'll write this app. PM me for details

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What's to believe in? :confused::confused::confused:

Are you implying they don't exist?

11. djellison macrumors 68020

The purpose of such apps is to give those who suffer from religious affiliation, access to their chosen book of fairy stories.

There is no such book for nontheism. Thus no application needs to exist.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. the whole point of atheism is to be free of such dogma. I don't see why atheism requires an app.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Exactly, if you're so offended by people buying the other apps, just count the money you didn't spend on that type of app since you are secure in your atheism. Of course if you were felt secure the fact that others have a different belief and want apps that access their sacred texts shouldn't bother you in the first place.

14. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's much better.

Now, about your actual app idea...I'm not really sure I understand the point of it. With bible, koran, etc, apps, I "get" why they are there -- while they are not for me personally, they definitely serve a useful function for others.

But as an atheist myself, I would never download an Atheism app (even for free) if it was filled with atheism quotes or facts, or links to podcasts. I don't need to be "taught" atheism, because to me that's like being taught religion -- it's exactly why I'm against religion in the first place. To me, being an atheist is a very individual, personal thing. I don't really understand the "rah rah"-type atheists who feel they must "spread the word" (similar to what religions often do) about atheism. I feel like those people are insecure in their own non-beliefs -- which I find more perplexing than people who actually ARE religious!

This app could also take a "make fun of religions" approach, which again -- would not interest me. Just because I'm a non-believer, doesn't mean I'm down on religions -- and I don't need to make fun of them to feel better about myself. If the app went a more parody route, like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then that would be ok, I guess -- but then you might as well make a Flying Spaghetti Monster App (call it "Pastafarianism"?), and not an Atheism app. You might actually get more people downloading that way!

An Atheism app, like you describe, may very well bring joy to some atheists, but I would never understand why. In the OP's original thread (which got moved to the PSRI forum), he reduces religious beliefs to being akin to believing in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny -- yet I would see much more value out of an app based on one of those characters instead of an Atheism one.

But that's just me. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My sentiments exactly, I was about to post the same thing after reading the OPs first comment.
    Heh. So he apologises and then makes another inflammatory comment, some people never learn :rolleyes:

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This is the PRSI forum after-all ;) :D

17. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Where do I sign up!!!

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

19. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dude, I didn't apologize and then make another inflammatory comment. I apologized and then started a new thread with our any inflammatory comments whatsoever. It then got combined with this thread.

I meant no disrespect with my original thread. I was trying to be edgy and provocative so that people would read it. This obviously was a mistake, so I apologized and corrected the error. Not much more I can do, is there?

If anyone wants to debate the merits of anything I said or of religion in general, I'd be glad to do that. However, there's no need for insults or ad hominem attacks.

20. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with your first point, but I disagree with your second point.

Atheism, to me means a set of evidence-based beliefs, rather than a set of faith-based beliefs. In this regard, atheist resources (akin to your "book for nontheism") are important to remind us to be skeptical and to require evidence for our beliefs.

Another purpose of a "book for nontheism" is to struggle against that part of human nature that wants to believe based on faith. This includes most religions, but is not at all limited to religions. For example, it's well established that people tend to associate temporal proximity with causation -- i.e., if A happens shortly before B, our brains are wired to believe that A caused B. A "book for nontheism" could help present arguments, etc., for explaining why A doesn't cause B. This could be helpful, for example, to explain to a client why a particular legal theory doesn't apply to his case, or to convince my wife that there's no relationship between letting our kids watch Tom and Jerry and my son hitting his sister over the head with a pan.

21. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Not necessarily an exclusively "atheist" app, but an app that has details about all of the logical fallacies would be handy. Ideally it would have the logical statements, some easily understandable examples and then possibly some historical examples of famous people making that mistake. It could also have a game function, where it would provide a statement from current events and the user would have to choose which logical fallacy was made from a multiple-choice list. You could compete with friends wirelessly like how those quiz games in sports bars work. Just a thought.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Just get "The Origin of Species" as an E-book and be done with it :)