Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced a new "Browse by Category" section in the featured section of both the desktop and iOS App Store, allowing users to easily browse the store via categories in a more visually appealing way than before. Previously, users had to click on "Categories" in the upper-left corner of the App Store and choose from a drop-down list.

browsebycategory.png
The new collection is yet another move by Apple to increase the discoverability of apps in the App Store. For instance, searches in the App Store were altered to compensate for misspellings, making it easier for users to find what they could be looking for. At WWDC, the company also announced that the App Store would be getting a new "Explore" tab, trending searches and related searches in iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 'Browse by Category' Collection in App Store

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Good. It's hard to find great apps when the search in the store isn't very good.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Good. It's hard to find great apps when the search in the store isn't very good.

Try searching for a generic term and sorting by "newly released" sometime. It's almost comical how unhelpful it becomes.

...Not that I expected anything else.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Looking forward to the iOS 8 App Store update. Finding apps right now is more difficult than it has to be in 2014.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I wish there were advanced search options.

Min Price to Max Price
Category / Sub Category
Customer Rating (from/to)
Keywords
Platform (iPhone/iPad/Universal)
Release Date:
Last Update: 30 days, 60, 90, 1 yr, etc

Sometimes I find a great app, only to find the last update was 3 years ago and no longer supported for iOS 7.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
A filter to remove certain types of apps from lists would be great!

I like to look at lists of top apps, but they're almost all games. I don't care about games. I'd like to see all the top apps that are everything but games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.