Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app-store.jpg
Apple's U.S. App Store has reached one million live apps, according to data from app discovery platform Appsfire. Our own app discovery site AppShopper lists the same one million milestone, with a total of 1,006,557 apps available for download at the time of writing.

While Apple noted that it had a million apps in its worldwide catalog back in October, this marks the first time that various app platforms have seen the U.S. numbers climb above one million.

Apple has approved a total of approximately 1,439,451 apps since the App Store opened in 2008 and over the course of the year, has been creeping towards the million milestone. Of the 1 million apps available for download, more than half a million are available for Apple's iPad, and over 900,000 are available for the iPhone. The company has now paid out more than $13 billion to App Store developers.

In May of 2013, Apple hit 50 billion worldwide app downloads, which it celebrated with a promotion for a $10,000 gift card for the person who downloaded the 50 billionth app. Currently, those numbers have climbed to 60 billion downloads, putting Apple well on its way towards its 100 billion download milestone.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Hits One Million Apps in the United States

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
image.png

(Honest question: what % of those are "Free" or "Lite" versions of apps, which means there could be two versions of an app? I remember reading somewhere that Apple doesn't count duplicate versions of apps in it's total count.)

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Just downloaded 1password today.. 18$ ughhh, but I tried a bunch of others and none of them came anywhere close to being comparable

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I've noticed several older apps that are still on my iPad2, but have disappeared without my consent, btw) from iTunes, and so could not be sync'ed to my iPad Air. Had to use iExplorer to get around that.

kdarling

macrumors P6
(Honest question: what % of those are "Free" or "Lite" versions of apps, which means there could be two versions of an app? I remember reading somewhere that Apple doesn't count duplicate versions of apps in it's total count.)

Dunno, but there's also probably tens ... if not hundreds... of thousands of apps that no longer show up because their developers stopped paying the yearly $99 Apple dev signup, which is required even if the app is free.

Other popular smartphone systems usually only charge developers once.

It's especially bad for hobbyists and those who put out free apps. In the past, I've made custom WinMo, WebOS and Android apps for my family and friends, something that would cost hundreds of dollars over the years to do on iOS.

Even if you just gave an app to family as your "testers", their test profile would disappear each year if you didn't always give Apple their ~$100.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Having 1 million apps is more of a liability than an achievement. Most could probably be replaced with web apps. And Apple doesn't let you search or order apps as well as Amazon lets you search for products or as Google lets you search for web pages.

Web apps suck.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Well, looks like my own negativity need not be presented here since everyone else got to it first. Yay!

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Still haven't found the perfect flashlight app. Have tried about 3000 of them - still waiting for the perfect one.

xSeaside

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
Okay, Apple. And after that you will promote that you have X active users or X developers or X customers with X % satisfaction.

Apple, keep pulling these numbers out of your statistics and smear it on our faces. Nothing of value to see here, move on, people.

PS: How about making Safari stable for once? Mine crashes a few times every week and I'm on 10.8.5.

/rant

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Okay, Apple. And after that you will promote that you have X active users or X developers or X customers with X % satisfaction.

Apple, keep pulling these numbers out of your statistics and smear it on our faces. Nothing of value to see here, move on, people.

PS: How about making Safari stable for once? Mine crashes a few times every week and I'm on 10.8.5.

/rant

Apple isn't promoting this. Macrumors is pointing it out due to their sister site. It's in the article...

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
About 1000 are worth downloading.

Maybe.

For those who rate things by how big the number are (Apple fans are great at that) I guess one million apps are important. I have not found or heard of any App Store apps that are as good as Adobe Photoshop or MS Office 2011 so in those two categories the App Store has zero apps to me.

But then this is MacRumors. High numbers and big percentages are definitely shiny objects here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.