Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the first day of Apple's annual iTunes Connect holiday shutdown, meaning the App Store will be void of any new or updated apps between now and Tuesday, December 27. In the meantime, iPhone and iPad users have plenty of time to capitalize on holiday sales for a number of popular apps.

alto.jpg
Alto's Adventure
$3.99 -> 99 cents
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A beautiful endless runner with procedurally generated terrain based on real-world snowboarding.

day-one.jpg
Day One
$4.99 -> $2.99
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A popular journaling app for capturing everything from once-in-a-lifetime events to everyday moments.

tweetbot.jpg
Tweetbot
$9.99 -> $4.99
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A popular Twitter app with granular mute filters, support for multiple accounts, timeline syncing across iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and more.

djay-pro.jpg
djay Pro for iPad
$19.99 -> $9.99
iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A popular app for DJs that integrates with your media library and Spotify. 2016 Apple Design Award Winner.

byword.jpg
Byword
$5.99 -> $2.99
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A popular app for writing with text-to-HTML tool Markdown.

duet-display.jpg
Duet Display
$19.99 -> $9.99
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: Turn a plugged-in iPad or iPhone into an extra display for your Mac or PC. Praised for lag-free experience in reviews.

dontstarve.jpg
Don't Starve: Pocket Edition
$4.99 -> 99 cents
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: MacRumors sister website TouchArcade called this game a masterpiece of horror, humor, and hunger.

broken-age.jpg
Broken Age
$4.99 -> 99 cents
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: A popular animated puzzle-filled adventure game. Apple Editors' Choice Winner.

pandemic.jpg
Pandemic: The Board Game
$6.99 -> $1.99
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: An award-wining board game in which players are put in an apocalyptic situation where they must work as a team to save the world.

i3.jpg
Out There: ? Edition
$4.99 -> 99 cents
iPhone and iPad
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: MacRumors sister website TouchArcade gave this galactic adventure game 5 out of 5 stars.

nba2k17.jpg
NBA 2K17
$7.99 -> $2.99
iPhone
AppShopper | App Store

Editor's Note: The latest iPhone version of the popular NBA 2K franchise.

More deals can be found on AppShopper and through the ongoing App Santa promotion, which in addition to some of the apps above, includes discounts on Vee, Screens, Soulver, Pennies, Launch Center Pro, Drafts 4, Interact, Deliveries, Castro, Group Text+, Star Walk, Rando Emoji, and PCalc.

The annual App Store holiday shutdown has also provided TouchArcade with an opportunity to finalize its list of the 100 best games available this year. Nintendo franchises ruled with Pokémon GO and Super Mario Run this year, alongside popular titles like Clash Royale, Lumines, and Deus Ex GO.

Article Link: Best iPhone and iPad Apps on Sale Through the Holidays

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Excitement about announcements in the Jobs era: Apple > Apps
Excitement about announcements in the Cook era: apple < Apps

Thank you developers. You don't get enough credit.

Reactions: ZZ Bottom

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
Does iOS Universal mean there is an AppleTV version?

For example yesterday I grabbed Broken Age, Alto's Adventure, Heroki, Lara Croft Go and Hitman for 99c on the AppleTV and they all auto installed on my phone. But it doesn't seem to be listed in iTunes if there is an Apple TV version in all cases of iOS universal.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
What about The Mac App Store? There are a few apps I wouldn't mind getting if the price is right. Gonna have to dig around and see!

90% of the apps featured in this article are games, ugh! To bad there aren't more productivity etc all apps available in the article.

Reactions: Dopestar

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Prices are NOT locked by the way.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12152016a
I can also confirm it as I just changed the price of one of my apps.

Whoops! You are right. I've updated the article to correct this error.

What about The Mac App Store? There are a few apps I wouldn't mind getting if the price is right. Gonna have to dig around and see!

90% of the apps featured in this article are games, ugh! To bad there aren't more productivity etc all apps available in the article.

This is false. 6 are games. 5 are not.

In terms of Mac apps, check out: http://appsanta.co/

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Does iOS Universal mean there is an AppleTV version?

For example yesterday I grabbed Broken Age, Alto's Adventure, Heroki, Lara Croft Go and Hitman for 99c on the AppleTV and they all auto installed on my phone. But it doesn't seem to be listed in iTunes if there is an Apple TV version in all cases of iOS universal.
Alas not. It's annoying there isn't an icon for universal+TV. A Few apps do also include an inclusive TV app.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
A

Always buy games on Steam else you are locked to Apple. They are often cheaper too.
[doublepost=1482537217][/doublepost]
Well isn't this just amazing...

Thank you! :D
Also you need now is a decent set of headphones.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
A

Always buy games on Steam else you are locked to Apple. They are often cheaper too.

What is Steam and what do you mean by 'locked'. I saw a similar reference above and don't know. Are you both referring to the same thing?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Space Marshals 2 is also 99 cents.

The original was fantastic, but isn't on sale. The main thing the sequel lacks is the relatively scarce number of missions, but that should improve over time.

Reactions: psac

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
You know what needs to be developed for iOS (and Android I suppose);

Life Is Strange.

A perfect title for touch-devices - the kind of story-driven-game that requires minimal controls.

(BTW, if you haven't played this game, and like story-driven-games, then definitely play it. There is a reason it won so many awards. I thought it didn't sound all that interesting at first - like it was aimed for a younger audience with a young-adult high-school-age protagonist, but I was wrong. It was one of the most engaging games I've ever played. Only good for a single play-through really, but still very, very well worth it IMHO.)

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Interested in Duet app but have some questions:

How does duet compare to other similar apps which stream a screen? I have never used anything like this before but I am interested. I don't think I really need this app but it certainly could be handy in the future (& sounds very cool :)) ....and better to buy while on special.

It appears the positives is that it does not lag or pixelate (which I believe is a common issue) due to direct connection via lightning to usb, however it would be nice to have a wifi option as well for more portability when at home but away from the desk.

I know there are other apps which can mirror the active screen, but is this the only app that actually acts as a second display with seperate mission control desktop space?

Also can you use the Apple Pencil as a stylus to navigate and do general photo editing in Lightroom without buying the pro app / upgrade. I am happy drawing on iPad with the iOS software so I don't really need the drawing support which the pro app provides.

And finally can you switch back and forth between using Apple Smart Keyboard and the Mac keyboard as though you had two keyboard connected to the Mac?

Thanks

P.S. I wonder how long it will be on special for!?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.