Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apps in the iOS and Mac App Stores have begun displaying details on Family Sharing, letting users know whether or not the feature is enabled for specific apps ahead of the launch of iOS 8 and Yosemite.

A new Family Sharing listing has appeared in the Information section for each app, as noted by German site iFun.de [Google Translate]. For developers that have turned on Family Sharing, the section displays a "Yes" under the Family Sharing heading, while apps from developers that have opted not to allow Family Sharing or have yet to turn the setting on display "Not Available."

Certain apps, like Sketchbook Mobile display a "Yes" for purchases after a set date, indicating that developers have the option to only allow Family Sharing for new purchases.

familysharing.jpg
First announced during June's Worldwide Developers Conference, Family Sharing for iOS 8 and Yosemite lets families of up to six people share content like apps, iBooks, music, movies, and more, across all of their iOS devices, provided their iTunes accounts use the same credit card. Family Sharing also lets families share photos, videos, a calendar, reminders, and more, to keep everyone in the family connected.

Though Family Sharing is not yet fully functional, Apple has made steps towards implementing the service throughout the iOS 8 and Yosemite beta testing period. Shortly after WWDC, Apple began asking developers to enable the feature in their apps.

Early iOS 8 betas saw the addition of Family Sharing in the iCloud section of the settings app, and iOS 8 beta 2 and an Apple TV beta laid significant groundwork for Family Sharing, adding a new section for "Family Purchases" to the iOS App Store's purchased tab and a new iCloud Family setting for the Apple TV.

Family Sharing is expected to be implemented and fully functional ahead of the public release of iOS 8, which will be available in September after the upcoming iPhone event.

Article Link: App Store Listings Gain Family Sharing Info Ahead of iOS 8 Launch

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
One of the best new features of iOS8 in my opinion. And MacRumors might need to recheck their sources because it looks to me like Family Sharing is not optional for new apps submitted to the App Store. It's only optional if you want to also apply it to past purchases of your app.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
First announced during June's Worldwide Developers Conference, Family Sharing for iOS 8 and Yosemite lets families of up to six people share content like apps, iBooks, music, movies, and more, across all of their iOS devices, provided their iTunes accounts use the same credit card.
So do iTunes accounts with no associated credit card where purchases were made using gift cards not apply?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I feel like some people are going to harass developers about this, knocking off stars just because they don't allow it/have it set up. I like the idea though. I'm going to share a lot of my apps with my brother and dad.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Considering it's already possible to have apps from multiple apple ids on one account, it's pretty annoying for the apps that don't provide this option, or decide to only include it with apps from a certain date forward.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
So do iTunes accounts with no associated credit card where purchases were made using gift cards not apply?

Apple's wording on the feature specifically mentions the same credit card. "Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device."

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
It's not showing in the UK App Store yet :-(
This was one of the best things about iOS 8 IMO THIS and the "request to purchase" bit. Perfect to stop darling daughter bludgeoning my credit card on her 5s

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
The problem with family sharing is that you should be able to all have your own payment options... If your family consists of adults then it's basically useless. I want to be able to purchase my own apps irrespective of what my family purchases, and still be able to share our content... It really sucks that you can't just share your purchases with family members.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I feel like some people are going to harass developers about this, knocking off stars just because they don't allow it/have it set up.

Everything about this...

★★☆☆☆
"This app is one of the best on the App Store, I use it almost every day. However, a recent update moved a button I use from the top left corner to the top right corner and completely broke my workflow. Please fix it and I'll give you back your stars (I would rate it five if it wasn't for this inconvenience).

★★★☆☆
"i liek the app but if yiu could add the option to change windmow colour i woudl givem it five stars"

★☆☆☆☆
"I can't figure out how to make it default browser or open from Safari! FIX SOON OR I DELETE APP FOREVER!"

★★★★☆
"Hey I just found this in emoji! �������� LOL"

Last edited:

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Bring it on!

Family Sharing is a great feature, actually saving us a few bucks when family using the same credit card get apps. Why not?!

You think people might actually buy more when they see they are spending less? Wonder if Apple might have the same idea? :D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

That's my concern - although with the ability to "require authorization", I could then add my credit card to my kids' accounts.

To me, the lack of going-back is worrying. Although we've been all operating under just one account for the whole family as it is, so the devices would still be authorized for the old single account.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
2 Apple ID's problem.

I, like a lot of people, signed up for an iTunes purchase account a long time ago with a non-apple email address. Later, I got a Mobile Me account which later transferred to an iCloud ID account. (Two diff emails) So, I've always had two Apple ID's. One for iTunes purchases and one for iCloud. So if I want to share my purchases with 5 other people in my family, how would this work? Since this goes through iCloud but my iTunes purchases are under another email account I don't see how I'm going to do this.

Anybody else in the same situation?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Finally! This is going to be great. Could Apple please make it so the Apple TV remote doesn't require Family Sharing, though? It really is just an extra step above having a simple password.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
"Valid for purchases after June 13th, 2014."

And.... THAT is the money grab for devs. People who have already purchased apps a long time ago... will have to pay again to share with family?

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
My understanding is it goes by the billing address on the credit card to show "family" Each AppleID (iTunes account) must have the same number/billing address.

Do you mean you can use different credit cards as long as the billing address is the same?

That would be wonderful. All adults in my family.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How long before multiple users?

So dad can log out and let he daughter log into her account on the family iPad with her wallpaper and her apps on her home screen?

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
This may cut into revenue a bit, but is a real win for families, by not having to buy multiple copies of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.