Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
See ? This is big evidence that Jailbreaking = Piracy. I'm fully against Jailbraking and I hope Apple find a way to put an end to this tumor.

All it does is turning a real iPhone into a fake iPhone from china.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
See ? This is big evidence that Jailbreaking = Piracy. I'm fully against Jailbraking and I hope Apple find a way to put an end to this tumor.

Maybe with your math 38% = 100%, but the way most people count, that's less than half. So no, Jailbreaking != Piracy. A percentage of jailbreakers pirate, but not all, and not even a majority.

I jailbreak because I want things like Notifier, Stack, and GriP. I do not pirate and have no intention to pirate. I'm an app developer myself and fully respect the other app developers' hard work. Every person I personally know that jailbreaks is in the same situation.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe with your math 38% = 100%, but the way most people count, that's less than half. So no, Jailbreaking != Piracy. A percentage of jailbreakers pirate, but not all, and not even a majority.

I jailbreak because I want things like Notifier, Stack, and GriP. I do not pirate and have no intention to pirate. I'm an app developer myself and fully respect the other app developers' hard work. Every person I personally know that jailbreaks is in the same situation.

Good luck arguing any reason with Pika

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

Piracy is still a major issue. 38% of 4 Mil is an assload of people.

Most apps are cheap anyways.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Piracy is still a major issue. 38% of 4 Mil is an assload of people.

Most apps are cheap anyways.

40 million iphones
4 million jailbreaks
1.5 withcracked apps or <4% of all users
I bet the music industry would love having <4% of their music that is playing on millions of apple devices not paid for.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
40 million iphones
4 million jailbreaks
I bet the music industry would love having <4% of their music that is playing on millions of apple devices not paid for.

Good point.

I still don't like piracy.

return7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Jailbreaking itself isn't the problem, IMO. Their stats do seem to shoot the "try before you buy" argument out of the water though.

- The average “lite” to paid conversion is approximately 7.4%.

- In fact, pirated-to-legitimate conversions are approximately 0.43%.

40 million iphones
4 million jailbreaks

I don't believe (unless I missed it) they mentioned how many total devices they've received data from and we can't assume it's 100% of devices since not all apps use Pinch for analytics (or use analytics at all) so I don't think we can say it's 4% or otherwise of the total number out there.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

you obviously didn't read the link or else you would have seen this part.
but it’s worth pointing out that an individual who jailbreaks their phone is not necessarily an individual that steals applications.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Wow my post was removed lmao Good one. but yeah the piracy is not a big deal Apple needs a better demo/trial service there are way to many apps that cost very high that are bad etc I think all Apps should have a 3-5 day trial it should be a good enough length to decide if you like it or not.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I don't believe (unless I missed it) they mentioned how many total devices they've received data from and we can't assume it's 100% of devices since not all apps use Pinch for analytics (or use analytics at all) so I don't think we can say it's 4% or otherwise of the total number out there.

Here is a report regarding the number of jailbroken units

I agree its tough to put definite number on it since there are 4 tracking companies.
The better the app the more it will be pirated.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Wow my post was removed lmao Good one. but yeah the piracy is not a big deal Apple needs a better demo/trial service there are way to many apps that cost very high that are bad etc I think all Apps should have a 3-5 day trial it should be a good enough length to decide if you like it or not.

It's called, "lite" versions. And it's something the developer gets to decide.

By the way, I almost died reading your post. Please, use some punctuation. :D

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
It's called, "lite" versions. And it's something the developer gets to decide.

Yes but 90% of the lite versions are crippled down or have features missing or its not even enough of a lite to decide yet, I would like to see something like Verizon has with Get it now were they do trial modes that expire in x amount days and you can have the full version to try out.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
38% is bad. What's worse is the huge amount of pirated apps vs their bought counter parts. It also draws attention to more 'benevolent' JBers like myself. I buy my apps. I like to play with the JB apps, and it would be a bummer to lose them.

I won't be surprised, though to see Apple really work to kill this whole endeavor because of the thievery.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
38% is bad. What's worse is the huge amount of pirated apps vs their bought counter parts. It also draws attention to more 'benevolent' JBers like myself. I buy my apps. I like to play with the JB apps, and it would be a bummer to lose them.

I won't be surprised, though to see Apple really work to kill this whole endeavor because of the thievery.

Apple won't have to kill it, developers will abandon it as they realize how far into their pockets piracy reaches. It's happened to various platforms in the past, it'll happen to more platforms in the future, it'll happen to the iPhone. Fewer and fewer new apps show up on the store until one day you notice that there hasn't been anything new in months. Any serious developer is also writing for Blackberry and/or Windows Mobile and/or Android simple to gain exposure and lessen loss. Sure, those platforms have their share of piracy, too, but at least they don't have Apple being a total pain in their ass every step of the way.

I jailbreak my phone for one application, 3G Unrestrictor, which I paid for. How's that for irony?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

its not a raw 38%.
Its 38% of the 10% that actually jailbreak.

OriginalFormula

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2009
Jailbreaking itself isn't the problem, IMO. Their stats do seem to shoot the "try before you buy" argument out of the water though.

How do they calculate those numbers though? They don't really seem to indicate their methodology, especially with results as stirring as these.

return7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
How do they calculate those numbers though? They don't really seem to indicate their methodology, especially with results as stirring as these.

So each phone has a unique ID. Their analytics software (almost certainly) sends that back to their server to uniquely identify each phone. Said analytics package can also determine whether a copy of an app is cracked or not and relays that information as well. So they store that info in their database. If the app phones home later and isn't cracked, then chances are the user bought the app. Since the phone's ID is the same, they can pair the two and get a percentage of how many people actually paid for the app after having a cracked version. This isn't perfect but it's pretty close. There are loop holes. For example, crackers might change how they crack apps and Pinch's detection might not work anymore. I don't believe this has happened yet.

The Lite-->Full upgrade correlation is a little more fuzzy and they would have had to do some guess work (e.g. substring matching on names like "BillMinder" and "BillMinder Lite" and so one) to get that stat since there's not any way to tell their system (AFAIK) what lite/full versions are a pair. They might have done some other clever tricks but I don't know what those might be off hand. Would have to think about it.

Edit: And I should mention that chances are Pinch Media has some clever hackers (by that I mean good programmers) working for them. Building a decent, scalable analytics app and mining the data isn't easy. Building a crappy one is easy.

Any serious developer is also writing for Blackberry and/or Windows Mobile and/or Android simple to gain exposure and lessen loss.

Yea I gotta disagree w/ you on this one. WinMo isn't exactly a thriving platform right now. And RIM devices are prevalent (3 of 5 top smartphones sold in US ATM, IIRC), but there are different form factors/series to support, which means additional work since one has to write an app a few times (different screen resolutions, OS versions that may not provide as many features/APIs, touch and nontouch screen versions, etc.). Android market is still in its infancy. I think it will grow to a good size over the next 1-2 years, at which point we may jump in. I don't think it's ready to support a business yet. Then again, it's arguable whether the App Store is with its wacky economics. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, just that it's not as easy as just writing another app. Maintenance is not something that should be overlooked. We pour a *lot* (lot lot lot) of time into maintaining/updating BillMinder. And, in my mind, the definition of a "serious" developer is subjective.

Yes but 90% of the lite versions are crippled down or have features missing or its not even enough of a lite to decide yet, I would like to see something like Verizon has with Get it now were they do trial modes that expire in x amount days and you can have the full version to try out.

So it's against the rules to do a time-bombed application because Apple wants "Free" to mean Free on the App Store. Although I wish there were more flexibility there, I get where they're coming from on this one. If the Lite versions weren't crippled somehow, there would be no incentive for users to upgrade. It kind of sucks as a user. We try to leave enough in our Lite app to let users get a good taste of what's available in the full version while still giving them reasons to upgrade. As much as we'd like to help folks with our software, we also want to be paid for our time (as I'm sure everyone does in some fashion -- not necessarily just on the App Store). We're in the process of updating BillMinder Lite -- been busy working on the full version plus other apps. I'm sure you already knew all that but I meant to point out that no one would bother upgrading if the Lite versions weren't slimmed down and that Apple does actually have good reason for this one, as limiting as the reason is.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

Wahhhh.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

Yes we know and once again no one cares. You're a tumor to this forum but we are forced to put up with you so quit crying.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
What did i do wrong ??? I don't pirate. Why are you mad at me. Just be cause i don't support jailbreaking??? :mad:

Without the Jail-Breaking, there would be no piracy on the iPhone.

Jail-breaking is the cause of piracy of iPhones.
Wihout the Jail-breaking, there would be no such thing of pirating the iPhone.

That's my point.

No JB = No piracy

Just look at apple now... they are resistant with the iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 !

Jailbreaking iPhones is something the Dev-Team and others have been able to pull off with every new hardware and software release from Apple. That might halt, at least temporarily, with new jailbreak-resistant firmwares included in the newest iPhone 3GS models.

The Dev-Team and other jailbreak makers have been using an exploit known as 24kpwn to break into the iPhone and obtain deeper access to install new app markets and unlock certain features. A new booting firmware update, iBoot-359.3.2, has been shipped on 3GS models manufactured since last week, however, and a Dev-Team member tells the Boy Genius Report that jailbreaking won't be possible on the newer units, at least until another exploit is found.

Apple is working very very hard to make Jail-breaking impossible and they've been doing the same thing with the OSX86 project as well.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Your point is that jailbreaking=piracy which is completely false. If Apple didn't rule the iphone with an iron fist then there would be no reason to jailbreak. Apple wants to cry about jailbreaking and say its illegal and they can't see that its their fault that people jailbreak. I mean we just got MMS last month that's pretty sad. If Apple would open up the iphone and give people features that jailbreaking provides then most people wouldn't jailbreak anymore. Jailbreaking will always be around Apple won't stop it. If you want to stop jailbreaking because that's the cause of piracy then why not just shut down the internet since its the internet that provides a way for pirates to do what they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.