App Store says I have updates...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fins831, Jan 23, 2012.

1. fins831 macrumors 6502a

And yet, its not open, or one of the apps I had running previously, because it was killed from the multi-tasking bar. I turn to my phone, and 2 apps are ready to be updated, but App store wasn't open or previously opened, so this is odd

I don't care that my apps needed to be updated, I'm just curious if this is new. My previous phone didn't update the App store with numbers of apps having updates unless I opened it, when did it start checking for updates periodically without it being open or run in the background?

Is this iOS5 or the 4S, cause I'm wondering how often it checks for updates when I don't ask it to...

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This has been happening since iOS 2.x and the iPhone 3G (2008).

It doesn't always happen, but once in a great while the App Store will tell me I have an update without me ever going into the App Store. As a matter of fact, it did it tonight.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I get notifications on the dock icon whether the App Store is open or not. Ive never seen the behaviour described by the OP though.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Not very often, but it does check. If your worried about data usage, it is using a very small amount of data. To little to be paranoid.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Same here. It just pops up a little number in the corner letting me know how many of my apps need to be updated. The Mac App store does the same thing, whether or not the App Store is open. I think it's a good thing. I don't shop for new apps all that often, and I wouldn't want to have to remember to check every week or two to see if there were updates. So it's nice that it checks for me.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My unit has always done this as well as my wife's and my son's iPhones.

I believe this is normal behavior. It lets you know you have X number of updates available. No data is transferred until you go in and tell it to update all or individual apps.